Bristle Worm, how to get rid of them?

coastie5685

also... leave the lights on a little less.. lighting is probably causing that stuff to grow like crazy...
and is the tank near an open window of some sort? where excessive light hits the tank?

papajt

I will do a test when I get up. It is near a sliding glass door, but it gets no light from it.
However the biocube light stays on a good bit. A person at a LFS told me that its because the biocube light is old and wanted to sell me a new one. Could this be it or..?
to anyone who helps me solve this! lol

honestly...it might be easier to drain the tank scrub all the rocks and clean the sand good. Then start over refill the tank and toss a little dead shrimp in their for a day or two to kick start a cycle and just wait. I think if you try and save it you will just be fighting an uphill battle the rest of your tanks life

coastie5685

lol no.. and change lfs... sounds like u got a bunch of tards working there...
lighting is fine... now.. the amount of hours in a day you leave them on for.. could be your issue.... lighting can b a factor of so much algae and why its rapidly growing...
just reduce the amount of hours... dnt replace stock lighting.
a little more work and time into tank... and it will solve your problem... and save u money.
10 hours a day is what i aim for in my tank.. have blue lights come on hour before and hour after the lighting day... then moonlights at night..
for u ... try a little less.

ideally i think 8 hours is best. then an additional 1 hour of actinic before and after the lights go on/off for a total of 10 hours.

papajt

Quick question..
I have one "center piece" rock in there and it has mushrooms growing on it, however it also has a lot of the algae on it. What would be the best idea for that? (If I were going to scrape the algae off some of the rocks?)

coastie5685

as far as nitrates... i wouldnt go with any chemicals... fewer water changes shoudl be ok?.
whats your filtration looking like? do you still have bioballs? if so take the bio balls out and rinse them out.... or take them out period. and go with chemi pure 1/2 unit. costs like 10 bucks for chemi pure elite.
and also... fill that tank up with some live cured rock. it will give you EXTRA good filtration...
im determind to hep you fix your algae problem lol.. please keep us posted.

coastie5685

and algae... growing on any coral or anemone is bad. so not sure how they are living....
but if im not mistaken a peppershrimp will DELICATELY remove the algae off your corals.. their reef safe..
BUY YOURSELF A KORALIA NANO.. if u havent gotten one already. u need somemore movement in the watter as well.. it will aid with the issue.

blueseafish

My tank used to look like that also and my Mom's tank looks a little like yours as well. I think you should do a 20% water change every week and also maybe adding some calcium or kalkwasser mix. Your tank is really small so you dont need much but it helped mine and you will slowly see some improvement. You don't have corals that will soak up the calcium but just a little maybe every 1 to 2 weeks might do the trick. My best bet would be the kalkwasser because you can add it when you do a water change. You onle want to use the clear water that is remains when letting it set. Do not add the powder to your aquarium. Also, another thing is that your lighting could be causing all that algae. A higher wattage for maybe only 8 hours a day would be good.

papajt

for the live rock, is it ok just to get 1-2 big pieces that have a lot of surface area?
Sorry, I would have responded sooner but I didn't see new posts to topic, I guess my wife was on and clicked it. lol
I will get to work on fixing this with your advice. Very thankful!