bristle worm

adder

hi every1 am new on this ive had me tank 4 about a year & on sunday when i was doing the water change i got told i had a bristle worm in me tank to get rid of it on closer inspection i found about 4 or 5 of them,i then removed them all of them,i then went on the net & ive herd that many different stories leave them in/take them out

jerth6932

It really is personal preference. Basically if you have one that's causing problems because its gotten too big, or you have too many get rid of some. They are a great CUC.
I don't have the horror story but my friend does, he has a 12 gallon and its full of them. He put a coral banded shrimp in there to control them and they ate the CBS in 5 minutes. So he got a arrow crab, and she did well for a while but they eventually ate the crab too.
So its your choice!

adder

IVE HAD A RED FIRE SHRIMP IN THE TANK SINCE THE BEGINNING & THEY AINT TOUCHED HIM YET LOL WHY IS THAT THEN DO U KNOW

btldreef

There's a lot of hype on the internet and in the hobby that bristle worms are these horrible creatures that are bound to sting you, etc.
It's a bunch of BS really. Yes, some have personal horror stories, but the large majority of us respect the critters and have no issues.
If you grab it with your bare hands, you're going to get stung. Bottom line. That being said, you really shouldn't be touching anything in the hobby bare handed.
In my opinion and in my experience, bristle worms are some of the best members you can have for a cleaning crew. Personally, I don't like the larger ones and tend to remove any that are more than 4-5" that I see. I've never had one kill anything live in my tank, nor have I had one that eats corals as some people claim. There are worms out there that are no good for your tank, but the generic bristle worm is perfectly fine, safe, and usually a very good thing to have in your tank.

1guydude

+1 BTL
Ive had no prob w/ these critters....they are ususally pretty skittish. If u wanna see wat u got than i would check around at night with a flashlight. Thats when the monsters are out! lol

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder http:///forum/thread/385724/bristle-worm#post_3384034
IVE HAD A RED FIRE SHRIMP IN THE TANK SINCE THE BEGINNING & THEY AINT TOUCHED HIM YET LOL WHY IS THAT THEN DO U KNOW
I think in his 12 gallon it was desperation, for them to eat the shrimp/crab. He doesn't feed it cause its a coral tank only, so they were starving (is my guess
). I have NEVER had a problem with them, I just remove them if I see bigger ones (no real reason)