Bristle Worms Aka Fire Worms Eating My ----

the sherm

DO BRISTLE WORMS NOMALY EAT CORAL CUSS THERE EATING MINE.
FIRST THEY ATE SUM STAR POLYPS MAINLY THE SKELATON NOE THERE
EATING MY ACROS WHAT SHOULD I DO

tangs123

Originally Posted by reckler
get a sixline wrase.

yeah i agree, a sixline wrasse and if that doesn't work i guess you could try a longnose or copperband butterfly

tangs123

some are safe some are not, it just depends on the sucess you have, each individual one can be conpletely different, but yes there is a chance it will pick at the corals

kzoo

Bristle normaly dont eat corals unless there dieing or dead, are you sure that there isnt something else going on. Most reefers see bristle on something that is dead and say they killed it but there doing there job and cleaning up.m2c

stanlalee

depends on the briste worms. Most we get dont however corals are the primary diet of many fireworm bristles.

kzoo

Polychaete Worms (aka Bristle Worm/ Fire Worm)

[hr]
These Polychaete worms are commonly called bristle worms (because their name means "many bristles") and/or fire worms (because many of those bristles HURT if you get them in your skin). They are one of the most misunderstood and controversial hitchhikers of them all. Fact is there are thousands of species of Bristle Worms/ Fire Worms with only a few being predatory and a couple being parasitic. The predatory and parasitic worms rarely make there way into our systems. So the majority of the Bristle Worms/ Fire Worms we see are beneficial scavengers.
I have read reports that when a tank gets overpopulated with Fireworms they can become problematic. With moderate feeding and a good diverse population of other scavengers, this should not be a problem but sense they can reproduce both sexually and asexually… giving the right conditions, they could reproduce quickly.
Attached Images

the sherm

you maybe rite about the decaying coral i'v never seen them actualy seen them eat a coral just there at the seen of a bleach or dead spot that wasn't there before. i will try to take a pic of the worms and maybe you can tell me if there the coral eating type. i am having trouble seeing anyones attachments i know there is a pic there but there is nothing to click on or thumb to see maybe i am doing somyhing wrong!