Bristle worms everywhere

cloienc27

I have a 44 gal breeder tank (36 X 18) and the bristle worms are starting to take over. When i come home at night they are all over the sides of my tank and all over my plants...just everywhere. Is there a fish that would live in that tank with a big maroon clownfish that would eat the bristle worms?? Thanks...

mr.clownfish

yes there is try sine line wrasse. buy a large one.
it will have more stomach room and wont be bothered by the maroon.
they are awesome fish with tons of personality.
and also try arrow crab. but return the crab after cause he will eat the babies. if there are any. good luck

billy73

I have always had good luck with arrow crabs. But at the same time I have also noticed that the more available food in your sytem the more worms. If you can try starveing the tank for a while and see if that helps if nothing else.

brandan

Any type of wrasse would work, or a Arrow Crab. Watch out if you get an Arrow Crab, they will get a hold of slow moving, small fish.

robdog696

Also Longnose Hawkfish, Dragon Wrasse, and my personal favorite Banded Longfin Basslett (best reef candidate). Good luck!

xtreeme

Bicolor Pseudochromis other name Bicolor Dottyback or Royal Dottyback
Eat brittle worms are teritorial.

mr_x

ease up on your feeding, and the worms will lessen in numbers. you are overfeeding your tank and/or not removing the excess effectively enough. you don't need to buy any extra inhabitants.

anonome

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2704075
ease up on your feeding, and the worms will lessen in numbers. you are overfeeding your tank and/or not removing the excess effectively enough. you don't need to buy any extra inhabitants.
Agree on this one. Find out why you have so many. Usually it is overfeeding the tank. Cut back on the amount of food and your problem will disappear on its own. No excess waste, no new bristleworms. Bristleworm birth control at its finest. Some are good, just not to the proportion you are talking about.

geridoc

A few bristle worms are good for a tank - they consume small left over food particles, but too many are a nuisance, as you have discovered. I don't think you need more tank inhabitants - your population density is already pretty high. I have had success with bristle worm traps that are available at any lfs to reduce the population. And, by all means, cut back on the feeding.