bristle worms

razhill

Are there any fish or aquarium creatures that eat bristle worms? We've got a good supply. Please don't tell me I have to remove them 1 by 1 with a trap.

fshhub

why remove them? they are a good thing, but if you must, there are some wrasses which will eat them, the hardwicke is one, but needs a big tank,a dn should not be housed with more docile fish, or you could use a trap, nylon stockings and bait works well

razhill

Thanks for the reply. I thought bristle worms are dangerous to the other inhabitants--mostly invertebrates. We've had our 2 feather dusters die and a lot of snails. I thought the snails were just not acclimating to the tank, but I didn't know snails could drown! Possibly my snails drowned, but I thought the bristle worms got them.

fshhub

most snails, when they fall cannot upright themselves, and do drown, only a very few species can, the trochus anssarius and i think cerith snails can, but turbos(the most common one) can't

carrie1429

Bristle worms do eat snails, I often see my bristle worm eat one. Another option instead of buying a fish is an arrow crab. They eat bristle worms if they are not too big. :p :D

fshhub

watchout for the arrow, they have been known to eat much more than worms, they have been known to eat other inverts, and smaller fish(not always, but they have a bad reputaion for it), and brisltesmay kill snails, but IMO, i haven't seen it yet, but they will eat the dead meat, if one did fall on it's back and died