Bristle Worms

ryan115

How big do bristle worms get before the start becoming a problem? I recently started maintenance on a 120ish gallon tank in our university biology lab. Looking through there yesterday i noticed several bristle worms that were about 4"-5" long and about as big around as the stick on a Q-tip. Can these cause any problem? and if so what is the best way to get rid of them?

magickyl

I would just leave them in the tank. They are good for cleaning up the bottom of the tank. They eat detrius matieral. You should remove them if they become a nuisance, but mine never has been a problem, only coming out at night to feed. This is just my opinion.

dhughesz28

the tank is in a biology lab right?? Shouldnt someone there know the answer already???
JUST KIDDING
But seriously, I agree with magickyl, just leve them be, they are benificial to your tank!

ryan115

the only problem that i have seen with them is: There is a serpant star that only has one leg ( I dont know why, it was that way when i got here) but since he has trouble moving, we have seen some bristle worms eating him when the lights come on in the morning! :scared:

mdog30001

well then i would get a bristle worn trap and remove them. I had some in my main tank and i really dont care if they're beneficial i just dont like them, so i flushed those nasty littles #%*&#^$s