Bristle Worms

sickboy

Ok, so my dad upgraded tanks and gave my wife his 14g nano so she can have domino damsels since I won't let her put them in the big tank. We went out and bought rock tonight from the lfs, and about 30 mins of it being in the tank a storm of bristle worms emerged!
I'm not kidding when I said there is a 'storm'. There is probably about 10 or so, ranging from 4-10 inches (10 is an estimate as we didn't see the entire thing at once but watched this never ending worm go out one hole and into another). And ALL of these came out of 6 lbs. of rock!!
Is this a problem? I know that they are a good tank cleaner, but this many?? Should I starve them or trap them? Or just leave them?

misty927

I would leave them...bristle worms are great natural scavengers and I doubt they would cause any problems. If you start to experience problems later, you could always remove them then. They may look monstrous, but they're really not that bad...

sickboy

Thats what I'm thinking. I don't mind them in the big tank, I was just surprised at the number of them in 6 lbs of rock!

mr_x

the tank the rock came from was grossely overfed. if you feed reasonably, you'll see them less and less.