brittle star anyone

jlm48

I had one in a 75 gallon and he grew very quickly, and was very aggressive. Every once in a while I would see him perched on a rock hovering over a snail, crab or even a fish. I'm not sure even if you could that it would be a good idea, depending on what other creatures were in the tank.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by JLM48
I had one in a 75 gallon and he grew very quickly, and was very aggressive. Every once in a while I would see him perched on a rock hovering over a snail, crab or even a fish. I'm not sure even if you could that it would be a good idea, depending on what other creatures were in the tank.
Did you have a green brittle star?

sepulatian

That looks like a serpent star Thomas. Brittle stars can live in smaller tanks but they must be acclimated for at least 4+hrs. Stars are very sensitive. They should be fed once every 4-5 days with something meaty. The star will grab it and help himself. The rest of the time it will be a scavenger and eat whatever is leftover. Be sure your SG is at 1.025 or 1.026 and keep it steady.

jlm48

Originally Posted by KJohansen
Did you have a green brittle star?
Yes it was green brittle star, and I guess I missed that part of the original post, sorry.

T

thomas712

I must be having some success with her cause she's been in my fuge tank since Jan 17 of 2006..

jlm48

That's a cool looking star, but why is he in your refugium and not you actual tank? Just curious.

T

thomas712

I have a DSB in the 55 gallon fuge, nothing but a diverse clean up crew in there and she is simply part of that. I have lots of mini brittle stars through both systems.

perfectdark

I have a red brittle star in my 29gal... cool invert but very very aggressive and it got huge in no time... The bigger it gets the more preditory it is... NOT GOOD... I am trying to get it out and give it back to my LFS.

debbie

Okay, well that answers my question. I think I will just leave the brittle star thing alone for the bigger boys and their tanks. One of our LFS said that they find them aggressive and I don't need that.
They are so neat looking but I will just have to admire them some other way.