Brittle Star Compatibility

1man

Hello,
I have read a few threads about brittle star compatibility in regards to aggressive fish and it seems as if some people say "No Way" and others say " I haven't had a problem". So my question is, do the Spiny-type brittle stars have enough defense to survive in my tank. I have a 150-gal with a dogfaced puffer, stars & stripes puffer, and a Princess Parrotfish. I have a handful of hermit crabs wandering around that get left alone. However, I'm looking for a little more help in regards to clean-up.

duke13

I think the brittle would be ok in your tank as long as there are plenty of LR to hide in. However, if you want efficient cleaning of the sand and substrate, a Sand Sifting Star may be a better purchase. You probably would never see him but you'll feel much better knowing he's cleaning your sand thoroughly.

1man

Not a bad suggestion; however, I think that my puffers would try to make him a mid-day snack. Or, does it bury itself enough so it is camofleauged (sp?) to the point where it would avoid being eaten?

duke13

If you're talking about the brittle, I would manually place it under a rock so it has immediate cover. Now on the other hand, the Sand Sifting Star you'll probably never see because it lives primarily in the sand.

1man

I was refering to the sand-sifting starfish. My puffers are pretty curious when it comes to new objects in the tank. I wouldn't want them to take a bite out of the starfish. But, if it remains under the sand undetectable, then it may be worth it. Will it stay out of sight so it won't get eaten?

duke13

My friend has one and I rarely ever see it (if you do, it would be at night). His water quality is excellent and I believe the star really contributes to it.