brittle star crawled into protein skimmer!

terrance

I have a 40 gallon FOWLR that finished cycling for about 4 weeks now. I have 4 damsels, a dragon goby, and i just bought 14 hermit crabs, a fire shrimp, and a black brittle star today. I just went to check on the brittle star only to find him crawling into my Remora protein skimmer. Now he's in the skimmer and i dont know if i should unplug it and try to get him out or if its ok for him to be in there. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. I dont want him to die in there, but he doesnt seem to want to leave.

nm reef

I'd also suggest you try to remove the brittle star from the skimmer...he may not do well in there.:cool:

justinx

I have to agree, remove it from the skimmer. These are some of the more delicate animals of the oceans and are to be treated as such. A tank that just finished cycling a month ago seems awful young IMO for a starfish. But . . .
How did you go about acclimating it and how did the acclimation take?
Chances are good that the animal is adjusting to its new surroundings and is trying to hide. It will most likely go right back into the skimmer if it has no place else to go. These animals are very nocturnal and will do all that they can to hide from the light.
Justin

stumpdog

terr-
It seems like you have all the advice you need, but I just wanted to say Welcome to the Board!
Lata-
Jeremy

terrance

Thank you for everyone's advice. I woke up today and found him back in the tank. I think he was just exploring. I've been reading this forum for 3 months now and i'm so glad that when i finally had a problem to post there were people there to help. Thanks alot!