Brittle Star + Missing Legs = Help

nitro7

Greetings,
I have a 55Gal Reef system with about 3.5" of ls, and about 50lbs of LR. My livestock consisted of the following:
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
4 Tonga Snails
1 Emerald Crab
They have been thriving in the tank for about a month. All of my levels ph and such are good. I recently purchased the following:
10 Blue Leg Hermits
5 Peppermint Shrimp
10 Nassassrius Snails
1 Brittle Star Fish
They was all acclimated per acclimation guide on this site. The brittle was acclimated for 3hrs he was and (stil is) very active. However all but one of his legs are missing.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
N7

burtrippey

maybe a rock smashed it. I think when you have lots of little creatures they move things and burro in the sand causeing things to move. Maybe it got smashed. You dont have anything big enough to eat it and besides what would want to eat a brittle star! What color red or green? I have a red and he is always moving my rock.

nitro7

Originally Posted by burtrippey
What color red or green? I have a red and he is always moving my rock.
He is red, and I agree what would eat it? Now that you mentioned it it does appear the rock has moved some where he likes to hang out. There is a tunnel going up under the rock arrangement.
However, the thing that concerns me is he only has 1 leg left. Guess not a lot I can do except feed him and make sure he continues to be ok.

nitro7

Originally Posted by burtrippey
how big is it?
Not counting legs I would say his body is about the size of a dime if not a bit smaller.
His legs was about 1.5"
N7

burtrippey

he is little mine is about as big as my hand with its legs. I bet they got smashed in the rocks, but im not for sure. I cant believe he only has one leg poor guy.

ophiura

What are your SPECIFIC tank parameters, especially specific gravity?
Is it one of the more expensive red brittlestars from this site?
The animal did not lose an arm from it being crushed...they are called "brittlestars" for a reason.
It is most likely acclimation shock, and it may, or may not, be fine. It depends very much on your tank parameters. If it is the more expensive red serpentstar on this site, I am afraid that is more delicate...and should be in a mature tank. They often do well once established but getting them acclimated can be an issue.
It is posisble the star will be fine and regenerate this arm. But it is crucial to know your water parameters to ensure that is not an issue. If the animal is moving and hiding...and try feeding it...then that is a good sign. But it is really important to know your parameters.

nitro7

Originally Posted by ophiura
What are your SPECIFIC tank parameters, especially specific gravity?

amonia 0
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
PH 8.4
SG 1.023
Is it one of the more expensive red brittlestars from this site?
No it is just a regular Brittle Star.
He is moving around and hiding up under rocks, I watched him eat some flake food at least appear to, it had landed on his one arm and he moved it down to eat.
I am considering moving him in to my Breeder tank for now. Is this a wise suggestion?
Thank you ophiura for your input.

ophiura

I would not move it to another tank without really good reason. Your specific gravity, IMO, is too low...how do you read it? refractometer or hydrometer? 1.025-1.026 is a better for inverts (if you do change, do it slowly!). If you move it, you will need to reacclimate to the new tank. And this can be an issue. Is there an animal picking at it?
So far the behavior described is normal. They are fairly hardy animals and will drop arms if stressed - which it probably is. But if it is not losing additional arms, and continues to behave normally (and is not being picked on by anything), then I would personally leave it. Acclimation shock can take more time to set in...but if it is suffering from this, moving it may only make things worse.

nitro7

Originally Posted by ophiura
I would not move it to another tank without really good reason. Your specific gravity, IMO, is too low...how do you read it? refractometer or hydrometer? 1.025-1.026 is a better for inverts (if you do change, do it slowly!). If you move it, you will need to reacclimate to the new tank. And this can be an issue. Is there an animal picking at it?
I am using a hydrometer, I will be purchasing a refractometer soon.
I have seen nothing really in the vacinity where he typically is except peppermint shrimp, but never seen them on him or around him. I will leave him alone and just keep an eye on him.
I will slowly raise my sg. I typically do a lot more research before adding any item to either my fresh or salt tanks, but this was an impulse purchase without an education before hand.
Thanks,
N7