brittle star predator?

fshhub

Originally posted by jwishy
I see alot of dumb opinions yet no supporting facts.
I AGREE
Does anyone own a book?
SEVERAL
Has anyone heard the reference "the green serpent of death"?
no, WHO IS IT BY AND WHEN WAS IT WRITTEN?
Would someone refer to sprung's invertabrates and look up a green brittelstar and green serpent star?
wHY, IF NOONE HERE HAS HEARD OF IT
http://www.earlham.edu/~eppigch/ophiuroidea.htm
Green Serpent Star
Every week I receive lists from numerous wholeslaers of livestock that is available. Yet I have NEVER seen a green brittlestar offered, I wonder why this is?
mE TOO? mAYBE THEY ARE THE SAME AND THOSE ARE JUST COMMON NAMES
But what I find more confusing is that on almost every wholesalers list I see Green Serpent Star.
SEE ABOVE
ophiura, sinceyou seem to be the resident expert have you ever heard the name "green serpent of death"? Do you own the invertabrate book by Sprung?
And here is the quote from the webpage which distinguishes the difference between brittle and serpent stars
"All Echinoderms have some characteristics in common: spiny skin, pentaradial symmetry, tube feet, broadcast breeding, and the abilty to regenerate lost limbs. The brittle star is no exception to this. Unlike its relatives, the Serpent Star does not use it's tube feet as its exclusive means of locomotion, rather, it uses its extremely dexterous "arms" to walk across the ocean floor.

PS, YES I am quoting you, I mean who better to quote? the resident everythign expert, since you took that title from me, I figure you were pretty proud of it.
she may be our resident star expert, but she doe not hold a candle to the experiences of all in this hobby and from what i have seen, her advice(given as advice, not as a push to get others to buy stars of anytype) seems to match all that I have ever seen or read, or at least has been credible. But I onthe other hand am willing to listen to other experts as well.

S

stasea67

Hi All
I'm new here but have been keeping brittle star for over 20 years now. I live in the Florida Keys, and we have several different species living in our waters. I can tell you our brittles readily eat blue leg hermit crabs, turbo snails and fish whenever they can catch them. They are definitely predators and as they get larger the more problems they can create!