Brittle Star

arjayl

Would there be any reason for a brittle star to lose its legs...without a fish or something else attacking it?

p_apac

you know mine did the same thing for no apparent reason, i think it might of been from quick rise and fall in my amonia levels when i moved it.

hairtrigger

I had the same problem, thing divided up completely and kicked it. I dont understand it either. It was a green one. Ive never had it happen to a regular one.

ophiura

Brittlestars (and serpentstars) are extremely sensitive to salinity changes, and must be acclimated for many hours when introduced to a tank (or moving to another tank). Otherwise, they will start dropping their arms. This can also happen with fluctuations in ammonia, pH, etc. It is a stress response. The only think that can be done is to stabilize the tank into the ideal range of water parameters (inlcuding specific grav around 1.025-1.026).
Sudden arm drops (of multiple arms) are not typically correlated with predatory attacks. Starvation is another potential reason for this. These guys should not be left to scavenge for food.