Brittle stars

saltymom

after acclimation, How do I get them into the tank without exposing them to air and without using a net and without getting any of their water into my tank??

nflnutswif

Don't do this until someone else confirms! But I drip acclimated our green brittle for a couple of hours in a bucket, and picked up the bucket to aquarium height used my hand to place him into my tank quickly. He was exposed to the air and doing great for months now! But let someone else reply:happyfish
Pam

donmgicwon

I just picked mine out of the bucket by hand and dropped them in the tank. I have done this three times and all are still doing good.

my serpent has been exposed to air twice now without issue. I have never heard that stars cant be exposed to air. Sponges definitely cannot, but I have never heard that stars cant.

evaredee

Brittle stars are extremely hardy. They can be exposed to air and never miss a beat. If you are going to be keeping fish in the tank with them, I suggest that you steer clear of the Green Serpent Stars. They will eventually kill every fish in your tank. They are predators to the fullest extent. If you keep them with fish, eventually your fish will have scratches on them from being attacked and then one day your fish will vanish. Trust me, I know from experience.

saltymom

These are brown or red ..they are whatever came in the 50-100 gallon reef package availiable from this site.
They felt so cool..at first I didnt think I was going to be able to touch them to get them outta the bucket..then I looked at the clock..still several hours until hubby gets home. LOL..so I sucked it up and they felt awesome. Only creeped me out alittle bit on the first one..by the third I was a pro!
Prolly the last time Ill ever get to see them! They are lost in the rocks now!
Thanks for the advice today!
~Angi

bang guy

Brittle stars don't have much trouble with air bubbles on their mouth like urching or other starfish.
but fyi - take a new plastic bag and place it in the bucket with the animal unopened. Open the bag underwater and place the animal all the way inside. Hold onto the animal through the bag from the bottom of the bag. Pull the bag nearly out of the water slowly with the bag upside down, this will drain most of the water out of the bag without letting any air in. Don't pull the bag all the way out yet. Once most of the water has left the bag clamp the open end of the bag with your hand to prevent air from coming in once you pull the open end above the water line. Transfer the bag to your display and push it underwater before opening it. You can then safely open the bag.
Bang