Brittle Stars

jimbo449

Any one have any ideas on how to trap and catch large Brittle Stars. I suspect them of being the culprits that have been killing my fish 10 to be exact:help:

evaredee

If you have the green aggressive kind...you can basically hand feed them and grab them once they come out of the rocks. If you do have this kind of brittle star...yes...they ate your fish.

alison

:happyfish How big are the brissle stars, do you know? I bait for brisstle worms a lot, and I caught one of the green brissle stars once, and I don't know how he got in the trap? Maybe try a brissle worm trap, or have you tried the coke bottle trap? You take an empty 1 liter plastic coke bottle or whatever soda, and cut the top off right where it starts to bend into straight, and turn that over and put it in the bottom, and if you do it right the top stays on tight, and doesn't come off. If you are confused by my instructions you can find it on the net anywhere, or ask Bob Fenner. Just put some small stones at the bottom in your trap, and angle the opening towards where you think they are, and bait it with very little krill or squid or whatever. Just make sure it's not to angled, otherwise they can climb out. Being that Brissle stars and brissle worms are scavengers and predators, they should use the trap. This trap is MUCH bigger than others, so it can trap larger, mantis, and stars. Hope this helped I tried it, and caught a mantis in the trap. :happyfish

benj2112

Originally posted by alison
:happyfish How big are the brissle stars, do you know? I bait for brisstle worms a lot,

Sorry to jump in on this, but Alison...why do you bait for bristle worms? I have read how they have gotten a bad rap and are now being accepted and one of the best part of a tank's janitorial crew. They got the bad rap because a fish dies are something else kills it and they are always there right away to much on what they can and that is the only thing we see eating our fish.

misty927

Bristle worms really are great scavengers and an asset to a tank...they just become worrisome when they get very large. Otherwise, I don't really see how they'd be a problem.