Broken Glass Odyssea 48" Metal Halide

kmart189

I woke up this morning and the glass below my bulbs was broken out and hanging out of my fixture. No idea what happend, but both sides where broken the bulbs are still good though. Any idea what might of caused this I did just change the bulbs from the crappy odyssea ones it came with to some LSE bulbs (still not the greatest) I didn't have any problems the days prior they ran) I also have a crazy miniatus grouper that could of splashed them, but both in the same night is weird. Also does anyone know where I can get replacement glass? It is pretty thick so I might need to go to the manufacturer. Anyone ever have a problem like this where the glass just broke out of the fixture on its own?

scsinet

It's very strange to say the least. The protective glass probably wouldn't break even if it were splashed.
I've not worked directly with this fixture, but does the glass mount with screws that you removed when you changed the lamps? Perhaps you overtightened something that stressed the glass so the heat up / cool down cyles just did it in.
Regardless, you should be able find a local glass shop that can make you some new pieces if the manufacturer can't help you. Just bring them a chard of the glass and tell them you need tempered glass in that thickness, and give them the dimensions, which you should be able to get by piecing one of the broken panes back together.
Whatever you do you probably want to act quickly because you shouldn't operate the fixture without the glass since they are DE lamps, and you need that glass in place for UV protection.

dmanatee

i have seen where when the bulbs get the glass realy hot and then cold water gets splashed on them then it can shatter, but if it happened in the middle of the night then the glass should have been room temperature? Wow that is strange.
I would definalty contact the manufature, it might be a flaw that needs to be recalled.
I hope things turn for you,
Sorry I was of no help

ibew41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSInet http:///forum/thread/382227/broken-glass-odyssea-48-metal-halide#post_3334264
It's very strange to say the least. The protective glass probably wouldn't break even if it were splashed.
I've not worked directly with this fixture, but does the glass mount with screws that you removed when you changed the lamps? Perhaps you overtightened something that stressed the glass so the heat up / cool down cyles just did it in.
Regardless, you should be able find a local glass shop that can make you some new pieces if the manufacturer can't help you. Just bring them a chard of the glass and tell them you need tempered glass in that thickness, and give them the dimensions, which you should be able to get by piecing one of the broken panes back together.
Whatever you do you probably want to act quickly because you shouldn't operate the fixture without the glass since they are DE lamps, and you need that glass in place for UV protection.
+1 make sure you get uv rated glass with de lamps

kmart189

okay FYI the glass just slides in after you undo some a piece on the end of the lamp so no screws on the glass.