Brooklynella

dugan

I think I'm about to lose my last fish to Brooklynella. It's a long story but that's the probable ending. If that happens, how long should I let the tank run without fish in it (inverts only) before the parasite is wiped out and it's safe to add new fish from QT?
Thanks...
Katie

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you have brook, are you treating it? It doesn't have to be fatal. Take a look at the treatment guide in the FAQ Thread.
Has brook been your only problem? You should let your tank go fishless for 3-4 wks.

dugan

I posted in more detail on Reefs... (as a rant, not looking for advice per se)... I've not been around my home much due to a family situation, and I'm pretty sure I've lost 2 fish to this already. Have no Formalin in the house, will try and get some tomorrow before heading to the hospital but I know Brooklynella can progress quickly. I'm feeding medicated flakes in the meanwhile.
No other problems, I have been lucky to have no disease in my tank for many years.
Thanks for the advice.
Katie

dugan

Update... I think it is actually velvet. Three fish in three days. I'm so sad... under normal circumstances I would have noticed this early and been able to QT and treat. Figures this happens during a week that I am uncharacteristically NOT staring at the tank for hours on end.

My question now is... how did they get it? The newest fish in the tank had been there for months. The only recent additions were inverts from SWF, but I didn't add any SWF water when I introduced them to the tank... except the tiny bit they may have carried in within their shells.
What happened?
Now to figure out how to explain to my 3 year old why Nemo and Marlin are missing...

Thanks...
Katie

dugan

bump
Still wondering where the velvet came from... and how I can prevent this nightmare in the future. Only new fish was 3 months or so in the tank after 4 wks of QT.
Looking at a tank empty of all but LR and inverts right now and I'm sad.
Katie