Brown Algae!!!! Help!!!! Asap!

theonlykc

Ok My tank is only 3 weeks old and its growing brown algae all over it, at first it started on my live and fake rocks and now its going all over my sand!
PLEASE HELP!
How do I get rid of it? Is it really bad? Will it change to green algae?
WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!!!!!
:jumping:

theonlykc

Ok My tank is only 3 weeks old and its growing brown algae all over it, at first it started on my live and fake rocks and now its going all over my sand!
PLEASE HELP!
How do I get rid of it? Is it really bad? Will it change to green algae?
WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!!!!!
:jumping:

theonlykc

I usually use tap water but I put something in it before I put it in the tank and once I bought that speical water from the fish store, I think my lights might be the problem, it depends sometimes I leave them on for 12hours sometimes 15hours, I just love to see my fish! =(

jerth6932

You might want to start using RO water, it will help with that for sure, and 12-15 hours is a bit much at first..... I would reduce that number 6-9 hours This will help your algea problem, for the next week you sould try just turning on your lights for like 5 hours a day for a week and it will take away alot of the algea

theonlykc

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
You might want to start using RO water, it will help with that for sure, and 12-15 hours is a bit much at first..... I would reduce that number 6-9 hours This will help your algea problem, for the next week you sould try just turning on your lights for like 5 hours a day for a week and it will take away alot of the algea
really? but what about the fish, dont they need the light?
thanks alot!

nofish4u!!

Sounds like diatoms if your tank is only 3 weeks old. It will clear up. Put in a good cleaning crew once your tank has been fully cycled.

jerth6932

it will be plenty of light for them, I would say do water changes.... but if you dont use RO water you will not change your current situation! Do you have a Super walmart near your house? They have cheap RO water.... Or how much did your LFS cost with RO water?

T

thomas712

I agree its only the dead remains of diatoms, very normal for new tanks. They should exahust themselves out after the cycle is complete or soon after. Just use RO water from here on out and you should be fine. Here is a shot of mine going through its early diatom phase.
Thomas