Brown algae...help!

marcs4020

I recently puchased a new lighting fixture for my tank, it is two 18 inch tubes as opposed to the single tube that I had before that. I have had it on the tank now for about two weeks and I have had a huge increase in the amount of brow algae. The question that I was wondering about is: Should I use my gravel vac and clean it off or just let it go? It seems to be taking over the tank and I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Marc

joker_ca

check your water parameters, also clean out any prefilters or biological media you might have
high phosphate levels cause diatoms to take over your tank check that also

stuckinfla

Any time you add/change lights, you need to acclimate the tank to reduce the algea breakout. Its from the lights.....it'll go away.

marcs4020

So if it is from the lights should I gravel vac my crushed coral or just let it go away by itself..
thanks for the help,
marc

T

thomas712

Always vaccum your crushed coral... to keep it clean and from trapping uneaten food and waste.
In fact, think about removing the crushed coral and going with sand.
I refer you to the sticky at the top of the new hobbyists forum, advise for new hobbyists, for further imput between crushed coral and sand.
Thomas
Welcome to the board