Brown algae is killing me!

rbaldino

My tank is having a pretty bad brown algae problem, and there's a bit of red slime, too. I've recently switched to RO water, cut feeding by 75%, skimmer's going like crazy, have about a dozen hermits and a dozen snails, and it's still growing. If I leave it for a while, it gets pretty thick and starts to bubble. Nitrates are a bit high, about 20 ppm, but I've been doing massive water changes and I can't seem to get this under control. Tank is a 29 gallon, 25 pounds of live rock, 30 pounds of sand, Coralife 2x65 PC fixture, AquaC Remora Skimmer, Aquaclear power filter, 4 fish. I'm wondering if I should switch off one of the lights until I get this under control, maybe the daylight lamp. Also wondering if there's anything I can add that will help. I'm about ready to give up and sell everything off. Thanks.

diddley

If' it's growing like a mat and forming bubbles, it's red slime even if it's brown in color. I've had (as well as others I know) good results with Ultralife Red Slime Remover. For long term prevention, use the best water you can get your hands on (RO-DI), add a couple of maxi-jet 600's for flow in your tank and consider running a phosphate remover of some kind. I use Marc Weiss Phosphate and Silicate Magnet. Good Luck.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by diddley
If' it's growing like a mat and forming bubbles, it's red slime even if it's brown in color. I've had (as well as others I know) good results with Ultralife Red Slime Remover. For long term prevention, use the best water you can get your hands on (RO-DI), add a couple of maxi-jet 600's for flow in your tank and consider running a phosphate remover of some kind. I use Marc Weiss Phosphate and Silicate Magnet. Good Luck.
I've tried a couple of phosphate-removal products without any real luck. I'm guessing that Ultralife Red Slime Remover is reef safe...? If so, I'll give it a shot. If I add power heads for flow, what sort of flow do I want? Something general, something along the rocks, the bottom? Thanks.

diddley

Yes, reef safe. Follow the directions. Phosphate remover won't get rid of the slime, it will just help reduce what's "feeding" it. It will also help keep algae in check. I like the Marc Weiss product, you can put it in a media bag in your power filter. I use Salifert Phosphate kit to test levels. Flow in a saltwater tank keeps detritus suspended in the water column where your mechanical filter and protein skimmer can help remove it. On a 29, I would get two Maxi-jet 600's and hang them from the back corners of the tank. Point them somewhat toward the middle of the tank to remove areas of low circulation. You obviously don't want them blowing your sand around. Red Slime usually begins in places of low flow and/or where detritus builds up. Hope this helps.

rbaldino

Yes, reef safe. Follow the directions. Phosphate remover won't get rid of the slime, it will just help reduce what's "feeding" it. It will also help keep algae in check. I like the Marc Weiss product, you can put it in a media bag in your power filter. I use Salifert Phosphate kit to test levels. Flow in a saltwater tank keeps detritus suspended in the water column where your mechanical filter and protein skimmer can help remove it. On a 29, I would get two Maxi-jet 600's and hang them from the back corners of the tank. Point them somewhat toward the middle of the tank to remove areas of low circulation. You obviously don't want them blowing your sand around. Red Slime usually begins in places of low flow and/or where detritus builds up. Hope this helps.
I'll look into that. Though if I add two powerheads to the flow already coming from my powerfilter and my skimmer, do I risk creating too much flow for potential coral inhabitants?

clown316

this might help... i had the same problem and I went to the lfs and picked up some sort of sand sifting fish... it worked great... the algae went away in a few hours..

rbaldino

Originally Posted by clown316
this might help... i had the same problem and I went to the lfs and picked up some sort of sand sifting fish... it worked great... the algae went away in a few hours..
I've thought of that, but I don't think I want to add any more fish right now, and I don't think a goby or something like that would get along very well with the fish I currently have. My psuedochromis would probably be the biggest problem.

diddley

Your protein skimmer creates very little flow. The power filter agitates at the surface level and at the intake. Powerheads are standard in saltwater tanks. Corals REQUIRE moving water. Just think about their natural environment.

rbaldino

Your protein skimmer creates very little flow. The power filter agitates at the surface level and at the intake. Powerheads are standard in saltwater tanks. Corals REQUIRE moving water. Just think about their natural environment.
I don't know. Based on the way the outputs from both push around food and other things floating in the water column, I'd say there's at least decent flow coming from them. Still, I will look into adding more.