brown algae

tlarsen

I am new to saltwater. I have a 150gal tank started 4 months ago. 120lbs of live rock in it. I am having a problem with my sand turning brown. any suggestions?

misty

I just got finished cycling my tank with live rock and just added a small clean up crew...so far, these guys (scarlet/blue leg hermits and turbo snails) are doing a great job in just the past 3 hours. I already have clean sections of rock and glass.
Can you give a little more info. about what you've got in your tank (inhabitants) and if you have a clean-up crew, how many of what?

tlarsen

I have about 6 snails, 3 scarlet hermits and 2 blue legged hermits. I also have blennies if they help or not. I'm not really sure. As for fish i have a yellow tang, picasso trigger, 6 clowns, indian yellow tail angelfish, and a wrasse. Thanx.

misty

I'm a newbie, but it sounds to me like you need A LOT more crabs and snails. One book that I have recommends one crab or snail for each gallon of water. That means you need about 140 more critters on your clean up crew.
Take a look at the package deals on this site and you'll get a good idea of how many you need for your tank.
Your little guys are working some serious OT! :D

G

glenn

Part of your problem is lack of water movement at the bottom of tank. If there is any way to increase it this will help also. Like maybe rock against side of tank will stop the circulation, or the return needs to be tilted for more flow in the direction of the bottom.
Glenn

goldfish

Hey Johnny,
Your trigger may make a tasty lunch out of your crabs and snails....beware! You really cannot put triggers and clean up crews together, but you may be lucky.

wpb, fl

I had a similar problem which was mostly solved by adding phosphate removal filters in the sump. They have to be replaced often and are expensive, but they eliminated 90% of it. I added a UV at the same time, and that might have helped some also.

misty

Goldfish...you know, I read this thread again today to take note of the fishies (I thought about it again last night in a fit of sleeplessness) and thought about that trigger. I don't "do" aggressive fish, but my LFS has one that flips the crabs upside down but doesn't eat them...
Thanks for the confirmation...

goldfish

Yum!! I didn't mean to say that you can NEVER do it, but even with one trigger in there can cause some problems for those little guys. I have two trigs and an eel and they pretty much leave my turbos alone. They have tried to nip at the cowrie, but his shell is way too thick for them to get into. I can guarantee they would have him for a midnight snack if they could get him to flip over!For some reason I don't think they have noticed the turbos...maybe they move too slowly for them to see. Oh well.

tlarsen

Trigger went back to the store today. On a full stomach. He would eat food from my hand, That was cool. Maybe someday,but first I have much much more to learn before I go aggressive. Checked all my levels, all looked good, also had the store check and they confirmed. moved water outlets downward a little and also got a couple small pumps to increase water movement. I have a 1200 gal per hr. pump from the wet/dry, to the tank. srry so long winded.

goldfish

This may sound weird, but in a way I think an aggressive tank might be a bit easier to handle for the first time. Only because (IMO of course) aggressive fish such as eels and triggers are hardier than say angels or tangs. Tangs are SOOO prone to ick that a first timer might do better with fish that are not as prone to diseases etc.
It was just a suggestion--mainly my opinion based on my experiences. I have lost 2 tangs (one I have no idea why, and the other to an internal parasite) but have had my triggers and damsel now for 19 months.
Good luck!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Brown "algae" is pretty normal for new tanks. This is commonly diatoms. As slica levels are high in new setups this variety of "algae" proliferates in new tanks because silica is a food source for diatoms. Phosphates are also a food soruce. While silica levels will diminish as your tank ages [because the diatoms will eat up the excess silica] phosphates are commonly and continuously added to the tank by us, the hobbyist.
Sea salts frequently contain phosphates, including IO, even though the label on the salt bags say no phosphates, most have phosphates. Additionally water used in the hobby, epecially tap water, a lot of times has phosphates. I'd suggest that you test your sea salt mix and your water source for phosphates and try to reduce, if not eliminate, any phosphate sources you yourself are putting into your tank.
Also, the cleanup crew you have is insufficient. You need a lot, lots more.

ocellaris_keeper

Throw some more crabs in - about 20 and about 20 more snails. you have a pretty big tank and even more critters will make your tank cleaner and more interesting. Try adding some other life (Money Plant, mushrooms, Feather Dusters) as they will consume some o fthe phosphates as they feed.
Brewski