Brown algae

scottbert

Well, after about a week with a raw shrimp in the tank, I noticed today some brown algae on the rocks. Not a lot, but some. I take it this is a normal part of the cycle process. I checked my levels and from what I can see I am still at 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates....is that normal with what I am seeing? What should I be expecting here?

silverado61

Anybody feel free to correct me or add anything if I'm wrong but I believe what you have is a diatom bloom which is a natural step in the cycling process. Good for the rock and good for the tank. Just to be safe, can you post a photo?

Did you just throw the shrimp in or is it in a nylon bag? Makes it easier to get it out when the time comes because it will just fall apart when you try t remove it..

I

innerdragon103

Betting it's diatoms. The waiting part's the worst - can't wait to start filling it with all sorts of goodies! I wouldn't be surprised if hair algae also grew after a while.
Pics?

scottbert

Ok here is a picture of what I am talking about. I'm going to test the water in a little bit and see it's anything is happening.

silverado61

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbert http:///t/396993/brown-algae#post_3537461
Meaning.....??? Cycle has started? Finnished??
Only testing can answer that question. Has your ammonia spiked to 1 yet? What about your Nitrites? If you post your exact test results somebody can give you a better idea of where your cycle is at.

As Flower says: "Cycles don't punch a time clock." Or something like that. It could take 2 weeks or it could take 2 months. It all depends on what you've done with/to the tank to get the cycle going.

scottbert

Nope, I haven't seen a spike in anything. Unless it happened during the 4 days that I was on shift, couldn't do tests on those days.

silverado61

IMO, what I would do if I haven't seen a spike is to wait another 3 weeks and keep testing and do water changes. If you put in a cuc and it hasn't spiked, you could lose everything when it does. I had a mini spike and thinking it was a full spike, I added a fish and cuc crew. Then the real spike came and killed everything. Patience is the true key in this hobby.

scottbert

Just do 10% every week water change and wait...sounds like fun. Lol. I'd rather be safe than sorry though. Good call.

silverado61

Even so, allow me to figuratively shake your hand for putting your life on the line every day. Especially in this day in age.