Brown Algae

curtis12282

I was wondering how to get rid of brown algae? I was told to cut back on my lighting but the problem with that is besides the rooms lights the only lighting my tank has is 48" Aqualight Single Linear Strip Light (130W Total) http://www.marineandreef.com/product...ight_53008.jpg I hate leaving my basment lights on ALL DAY LONG but if i dont the room is PITCH BLACK. What should i do?

michaeltx

is this a powdery algae? if so its diatoms and you will contiue to have them until the finish off all the silcates in the tank and then disapear. is this what you have.
<Mike

curtis12282

I just found this and it sounds like the algae I have:
Other Names: Gravel algae, Silica algae
Color: Brown
Appearance: Begins as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then rapidly coats most surfaces of the aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating that is easily removed. Unlike blue-green/slime algae, it does not come off in large slimy sheets
Cause
° Diatoms
° Excess silicates & nitrates
° Inadequate light
° Low oxygen levels
Brown algae is due to diatoms, and is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.
Cure
° Wipe off surfaces & vaccine gravel well
° Use silicate adsorbing resin in the filter
° Increase the lighting
° Stock a plecostomus or several otocinclus
This type of algae does not adhere strongly to the tank surfaces, and may easily be wiped away. Vacuuming the gravel with a siphon will quickly remove coatings from the substrate. Increasing the lighting will inhibit regrowth of brown algae. As a new tank matures brown algae is often eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.
Some suckermouth catfish will readily eat brown algae, most notably plecostomus and otocinclus. If the problem is due to high silicates in the water, and the brown algae persists, a special silicate absorbing resin can be used in the filter.
Prevention
° Use of RO water
° Regular water changes
° Regular aquarium cleaning
° Good lighting
As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

michaeltx

thats the algae that I was talking about nothing really to worry about if its a new tank. it will go away if you want to get rd of it off rocks and things just use a turkey baster and blow it off of them. but in just a few weeks it should be gone.
Mike

curtis12282

I REALLY HATE MY LFS THEY GIVE ME HORABLE ADVICE AND ALWAYS JUST WANT MY MONEY. The above article says to blast it with light while my LFS gave me just the oppicate advice. It may sound like im jumping to conclusions about my LFS but one time i went in there and it took me asking 3 diffrent people before i found out if the LR they carried was cured or not... YEESH

michaeltx

what you see is skeletons of the actual algae as it dies they fall in the tank and thats what we see. light will cause them to accelerate there growth so less lighting will help but it prolongs the end result.
Mike

aarone

I REALLY HATE MY LFS THEY GIVE ME HORABLE ADVICE AND ALWAYS JUST WANT MY MONEY
sounds like your typical LFS!