brown algae

harley

my tank has been up and running for about 5 weeks and have lots of fast growing brown algae, how long till it turns green. should i remove it, i have a flame angel who continuously is nibbling at it but it doesn't slow down. my water quality is good i believe, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 8.3-8.5. i would really apreciate some advice. thanx

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd remove as much as the brown stuff as you can, which includes cleaning it off your glass and even taking any dead rocks out and scrubbing it off [with fresh water and a tooth brush]. This algae will make your tank ugly fast, and the more you have of it, the it grows! Try to keep your nitrates and phosphates down to the min., as this is the food source for algae. Even green algae can take over your tank and, though it is not unsightly like the brown, you don't want it taking over either.

mgochay

I have a question. What fish are part of the clean up crew? And also I have a high nitrite level, 1.0 possibly higher. What can I do? My tank has been up for 6 weeks. A couple of weeks ago the nitrite level was very low now it is too high.

mkorszo

your nitrite will peek and turn to nitrates your tank is still cycling dont be in a hurry some tanks take longer than others your brown algae will turn green then your tank is done