Brown Algea!!!

popo559

I started my tank about three weeks ago. I woke up this morning and noticed a lot of rust or brown colored algea on the base rocks, sand, and ccrushed coral. Is there anything that I should do to stop the spread or will it run its course in time. Thanks

carshark

Originally Posted by ynotminot
it will slowly go away w/ time. It's cyano bacteria. Takes time to level out. Nothing to worry about

cyano is red.......the brown algae is diatoms, come from various sources mainly tap water, its typical of new tanks....reduce lighting when you add organisms, also get a clean up crew in there when the cycle is closed to its end, 3 weeks you have alittle while longer probably, ad turbo snails, red legged and blue legged hermits, astrea snails, that should help tremendously if you dont like the algae, also get a magfloat to do the glass scraping....good luck, youre moving right along

murph

Also time to start that protein skimmer when you start using the mag float on the front glass.

carshark

Originally Posted by Murph
Also time to start that protein skimmer when you start using the mag float on the front glass.
yep

popo559

OK, I checked my levels today and everything was back down to where it needed to be. I am wanting to get a clean-up crew. What type of snails would you recommend?

bwilson

I went and got 80 hermmit crabs the small ones. 5 Turbos and 20 sand snails. After my alge was gone I took some back for a credit. They went to town and in three days presto.
BW

brycewood

I have red and diatoms, not something I should be overly worried about?
I also have coraline on tons of stuff, which I am taking to imply that my calcium levels are okay for now.
I just started adding my cleaners, I got two mexi tubros, my LFS didn't have much else for cleaners right now. I am thinking of doing some traveling to find the rest.

carshark

Originally Posted by Brycewood
I have red and diatoms, not something I should be overly worried about?
I also have coraline on tons of stuff, which I am taking to imply that my calcium levels are okay for now.
I just started adding my cleaners, I got two mexi tubros, my LFS didn't have much else for cleaners right now. I am thinking of doing some traveling to find the rest.
you could order them from this site, they arent very pricey and i hear they ship well fom here....

brycewood

I might, don't they have a minimum 79$ order?
Their small kit is 59$ and it's cheaper if you get the parts individually.
I'll have to look into it.

popo559

I ordered a reef kit from this web site. I ordered the following:
25 scarlet HC
25 Blueleg HC
25 Turbo Snails
10 Nassarius
5 Emerald Crabs
1 Banded Shrimp
Is this a suffient crew :notsure: for a 100 G tank. Also will I need to suppliment them with food or will the algea (brown) that it is my tank be enough.

wieselspor

Also wanting to check if my clean up crew is enough.
37 g Bowfront
7 small reef hermits
2 torbos 1-2"
1 bumble bee 1/2"
and 15 Nassarius (in shipment)
also will probably get a pistol for a goby
Is this adequate??
let me know
Thanks