Brown-Banded Bamboo Shark Feeding

I

irenicus

What are some good feeding techniques for Brown Banded Bamboo sharks? I'm trying to get him to eat during the day, but he doesn't come out like i've got my eel to do. I've seen him nibble on some shrimp so I think he's eating. Do I have to put some food in at night and cross my fingers that he eats it. I've had him for about 2 week. Any help would be appreciated.

jim27

Use a feeding stick and put it right in front of its face. Thats the easiest way I've found. Feeing at night might increase your chances of it eating since its new to the tank.

cbshark

Feed him some frozen or fresh squid on the end of a sharpened rigid air tube. My two bb sharks go absolutely crazy for squid. I've never had any luck with anything else. It seems they need something with a strong odor to it. Shrimp just doesn't seem to have it.

tvan

Sharks fast when stressed. Like Jim27 said put food on a wooden stick a wave it in front of his nose. You may have to try different types of food as well.
HTH
Tom

saltfisher

I really must have a rare Banded. He comes out during the day all the time and even at night when the lights are on. Mine will only eat Silversides. I drop a few in and the Remora grabs and chews them and when the Banded smells it, he comes out and swims around until he eats a ton of them. At night, he swims non-stop.

I

irenicus

I just see mine nibble a shimp peice a tad. Maybe he needs some silversides. He doens't come out during the day like my eel, and i even help a shrimp right in his face. Maybe he's picky

saltfisher

Give Silversides a try. Also, using the feeding stick is nice, but you'll want that shark to eat just by droppin food in the tank. Are you feeding at night or day?

I

irenicus

i try during the day. But also I drop food in at night, i watch be I don't see him take it. It's very hard to find out if he ate the food the next morning or it was the eel.

jim27

And thats exactly the reason I say USE A FEEDING STICK. At least for the first few times to make sure the sharks eating. After that you can drop it in or throw it in or slam dunk it in if you want.
They're also helpful if you've got something else in the tank thats faster/more aggressive than the shark, and to make sure ALL the food is eaten. If I didn't use one my horn would hardly get anything and my whitespotted would probably die from over eating.

I

irenicus

Thanks, I'll forage up a feeding stick and let you know the results.

rookie

Irenicus - I would love to see pictures of your setup and know details of what size tank you have, lighting, filtration, and what all you have in your tank.
JIM27 - Same with you.
SaltFisher - agian same thing.
NickSchwarzrock@aol.com
Nick