Brown Button Polyp Epidemic

ags

5 years ago I bought some rock with a brown button polyp as a hitchhiker. Today, the damn thing has covered any and every rock it can touch and even has jump to places in my tank that appear impossible.
Short of taking out all the rock does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can kill them?
And no, they are not worth trading, fragging or selling.

wax32

Find a friend that has an angel that likes to eat polyps and borrow him for a while.

ags

I have a Flame Angel in the tank. He won't touch it.
I have taken some of the rocks out and srubbed the polyps off. Unfortunately this has only worked temporarily. I wouldn't mind keeping a rock with some on it but they seem to spread at will and pop up in the most ridiculous places - like my overflow.

wax32

I meant a large type angel... they tend to eat more polyps. My Cherub never touched my corals at all either.
That is the one drawback to zoanthids... they tend to take over a tank. That's why I try to only buy zoanthid rocks with colors I like. That being said, I love zoos and now that Katrina killed my 70 gallon reef I plan to have only zoos as far as coral goes.

avbryce1

ags I am having a similar problem with some brown button polyps they are taking over some of my best zoas. I was thinking about trying some joe's juice on a polyp I dont want to remove all the polyps I just want to be able stop them from taking over my zoas.

ags

What is joe's juice? Let me know how the joe's juice works. I think I am going to treat the poylps like aptaisa and use a syringe and needle to inject them with kalk water. Because of the number of polyps I am going to take it slow so that I don't cause a spike in amonia.

T

thomas712

Well I had a thread about this with pics, but they seem to be all gone, Just went through it again not to long ago where I took out a very large rock and 2 others that were about to be over grown with the BSP, the largest rock was completly covered. I left them on the deck for 3 weeks and went out and used a steamer and scrub brush on them. There are still places in the tank where I can not get them out. I hate them.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...&highlight=BSP

avbryce1

joe's juice is for aptaisa its pretty much the same thing as kalk I tried it last night on a few button polyps and this morning they were gone so I would say it worked

ags

Pbienkiewi
These brown button polyps are very common and not that desirable, except with new reef keepers. I was super excited when I saw them 5 years ago. Now I just wish they would all die. Same holds true for GSP.
Besides I sold some back to my LFS and did not get that much for them. With all the multi colored and rare colored zoos out there who wants to pay for plain brown botton polyps.