Brown color growing normal after cycle?

hallzy

Just out of curiousity, why did you think I would have poblems? You've got me kind of worried now! lol I mean its been going well since november, thats when I added it, but I just want to take all precautions!

btldreef

Usually crushed coral or similar thicker/coarser grade substrate traps detritus and debris and becomes a little nitrate producing factory. You don't get the same critters living in that as you will with a traditional sand bed which also help with cleaning. As long as you maintain it, you should be fine, but definitely keep an eye on nitrates.

hallzy

Ok thank you much! I try to do a 5 gallon water change at least once a month (its only a 29 gallon tank). I actually kind of slacked on it for a little while, but I am sticking to it now, I have way too much invested in it now. The aussie hammer coral helped me change my bad habits a lil bit. haha But yes I do notice that I get alot of junk out when I syphon through.
On a side note, what is a good way to keep sand beds clean? I was planning on using this same stuff in the new tank for the simple fact that it was so much easier to maintain for me. But I guess that reasoning is because Im not exactly sure the best way to keep sand beds clean! Ive had sand before, and it always gets discolored on the top layer, and if i try to clean it I just get sand floating everywhere throughout the tank!

1guydude

I recently got a fighting conch and that boy keeps my sand pristine!!! Also narris snails (sand sifters)....

btldreef

Usually the best sand cleaners are nassarius, cerith and fighting conch snails along with good flow and proper maintenance. I'm not sure if you could utilize snails as much with that coarse of substrate, you might have to stick with hermits. Do you have snails in the substrate now?

hallzy

Yup! Ive got about 5 nass snails and some turbos. And the nass snails dont seem to have a problem getting down there. Its really not as course or heavy as stuff like crushed coral.