brown film on tank water

chadman

today i noticed that i have a thin brown film on the top of my tank water....is this fish waste? my tank has been set up for two years or so and have never saw this...i do not run a skimmer so i guess it could be what a skimmer would be eating up....when i stick my arm in the tank the brown stuff like sticks to my skin...any ideas? i tested all my parameters and everything is at zero except for nitrate with is hardly noticable...i always have had a very very slight nitrate level....never anything to even remotely be concerned about...

bonebrake

It is protein, you can prevent this layer from forming by have a surface skimmer, increasing surface agitation by aiming a powerhead straight up, or installing a protein skimmer or any combination of these three.
You want to get rid it because it coats the top layer of water and prevents good gas exchange and if excessive can even block light penetration to a degree.
:joy:

chadman

sorry it took so long for me to reply to this post...but yes i used to have good agitation but i think my maxi jets are slowing down i may need to get some new ones....when i do water changes before i syphon out hte bulk of the water i use a cup and scoop out as much of the film as i can usually it goes away for a few days then....