brown fuzzies

jayster

OK . . . i do have some red and purple on my 25lbs of LR but the brown fuzzies are starting to get thicker. There is no green or blue. I also have the brown spots on my glass which I periodically brush off for cosmetic reasons. The only light that I use is an 18" 50/50 sun reef tube. 15w, 12 hrs/day (Half actinic/half nautral light?) The brown alge is starting to look a little drab. Is there anything I can do to get more color out of my rock? Can I safely get some kind of hermit or other crab that will climb the rock and keep the brown fuzzies mowed short? Should I just not worry about it? My set up is below. I also have a seaclone 100 skimmer and a 350 Magnum canister filter. Thanks for any input.:)

nucknfutts

Get some snails! the brown is algee and you don't want it to get out of control it will turn into hair algee. Turbo snails will clean it up fast in your tank I would put in 4-8 snails. Snails will keep your glass clean as well. check all of your levels and maybe do a 25% water change. It almost helps with everything.

jayster

For some reason I dont like snails but it seems that a few will be a necessity. Are there any good alternatives (Smaller perhaps) to the turbo snail and will they climb rock?

nucknfutts

bumble bee snails are realy small but if you have a problem now I would get on top of it. go to your lfs and get some turbo snails to mow your algee down once your on top of it then just take them back. but I would keep 1-2 in your tank all the time. btw I hated snails until I got tired of the algee problem.