Brown glob on goniopora

todd_k

I purchased a goniopora from the lfs about 1 week ago. It has never really been fully extended more then about an inch. In the past 2 days I have noticed a brown glob on the coral. Not really sure what to do about it, it has gotten a little bigger since yesterday.

My tank 75 gallon been setup for about 3 years. Salinity 1.023 all levels at 0 and ph at 8.2. Everything else is doing really good in the tank.
I have it placed in a low flow area, also high in the tank. I have 2 175w MH and 96w of actinic. I had in lower in the tank and I didn't get any better extensions.
Thanks for the help

teen

goniopora is known to not do so good in captive environments. they usually dont live more than 6 or 7 months, in some cases a year or two.

todd_k

Yea I now realize they don't do well I can't really do anything about that now because I can't take it back.
Anyone know what I can do now to help?

reefkprz

looks like a sponge to me, carefully scrape it off or it will smother the gorniopora, as for making it live longer try spot feeding it oyster eggs and crushed cyclops.

teen

kinda hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like its melting to me. (aka dieing)

todd_k

I scrapped it off and the skelton is underneath, so I bet it is dying. I will baby it and see if I can somehow get it to come back. I should of researched it myself before I listened to the lfs guy.
Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions of what to do I would appreciate it.