Brown/Green Algae Problem

el bob

I have brown/green algae in my tank. It is not hair algae. Assuming my setup is fine and I have no phosphates, what could be the cause? Can high nitrates cause this because I just added three new fish? Also, could my MH bulbs be getting old? Thanks

snakeblitz33

lol, MH bulbs do not get old, generally they cycle. Periods of on and then off, that's when you know to replace them.
Assuming that you don't have phosphates, nitrates could potentially cause the problem. If you don't have a freakin' awesome protein skimmer, I recommend getting one. stir some up before you perform a water change.
I hope this helps.

ledzep fan

Check your nitrates, also cut back on the lights. And, a test kit saying there are no phospates, doesn't mean that there are none in there. The algae might be using it up. I had the same problem. Good luck

el bob

snakeblitz.........MH bulbs do get old. when they are new they produce light at the blue end of the spectrum and as they age the tend to produce light in the red end of the spectrum which is highly conducive for growing algae. you should change your lights ever year. I dont think that my skimmer is the problem, I have a korallen zucht skimmer. My light cycle has been the same for a year and a half now and have only just begun to grow algae so thats not the problem. I dont think that I could have phosphates because my sps colonies would not have good PE and would be losing color. Also I use a four part RO/DI unity and I replaced the filters last month. But if nitrates can cause abundant algae growth, I guess that could be the problem because I did add 3 fish at one time which could mess with my tank. It probably just need to adjust to the new biological load that has been placed on it. Sound right?

trippkid

Sounds about right to me. How old are the bulbs? Did you test the Nitrate level? Any thing in the tank to eat it? Any pics of it? Sorry for all the ?'s.

Matt

el bob

uhh bulbs are like 8 months old......nitrates levels are not too bad but they are still high for an sps tank. i have like 5 tangs and none of them will pick at it and my LMB eats it all day long. No pics sorry. But nitrates can cause algae correct?

trippkid

Yes, it can. I'd say if it is above 10ppm, you may see some effects of excess algae growth, just my opinion. I try to keep the Nitrate in my tank under 10, shooting for zero, but kind of hard with the fish and the sand bottom.
I'm sorry, but what is a LMB? I can't put it together. Do you have any hermits to eat it or snails. Dose it grow "tall" or just in a "mat"?
Matt

trippkid

Plus, if the bulbs are starting to burn in the wrong spectrum, the food source being the Nitrate becomes the missing link in the chain. Algae + Food + light = strong growth.

el bob

LMB=lawnmower blenny, no hermita left because the damn fuzzy dwarf ate them but i have like 30 or so turbo snail and nassarius. The algae is like 2 inches tall in one area but overall I would say it is a mat.

trippkid

I am so stupid sometimes, LMB, should have popped right in. I know, I used to have my trigger in my reef(now lives in my refugium), about eating the clean up crew. Have you tried trimming it back and putting some snails right on the stuff, sometimes if it is too long they can't really get at it to eat, same thing with the tangs possibly. My two, a yellow and a hippo, also have a parrotfish that eats any excess algae in the tank along with my clean up crew. I would maybe get more of a mix of clean up critters if possible. Some different types of snails if the hermit don't survive long enough, I also have a tuxcedo urchin and a unidentified spiny one(only comes out at night). I think maybe a little more diversity in the clean up crew should take care of it, at least keep it under control for you, IMO.

Matt

el bob

well then i might have to go and pick up an urchin and some more blue leg hermits. funny thing though, i tested my nitrates and i do not have any at all..0 ppm. all my parameters are perfect, i double checked myself and even had my lfs do it as well. I dunno where the hell it is coming from. I guess ill just go pick up some more fish/inverts to clean up as well as pull some of the algae myself.

trippkid

Good luck, be careful with the urchins, some of them will clean coraline bare, my tuxcedo doesn't bother it, I think the other little one may, it's not bad, I can still grow the coraline pretty well, so it is not a problem. I hope you can get it cleaned up.

Matt