Brown growth

mdvm

Can anyone help me solve a brown growth problem I'm having, my tank is about 3 months old and it just showed up about a week ago.
Thanks in advance...
55 gal
45 lbs lr
110 watt PC
Yellow tang
2 Clowns
cleaner wrasse

acez28

well from what most say on here.....water changes with RO/DI water about once a week will help it. Have you made any changes to the tank and what are your params?

barracuda

post your water parameters: phosphate, nitrate and silicate(if possible). What is your water source? Give us more info about your system. What additives do you add and in what schedule?

mdvm

I'm using tap water for my water changes, and have not purchased test kits for those items yet. My LFS is using the same water I and and they said they dont use a RO/DI.
I am still on the learning curve so and trying to get a grip on what I need.

mdvm

Thanks for the advise, does it hurt the tank or just a pain. Could I be adding a suppliment to my tank while doing water replacements to help control it? The reason I ask is I've heard so much about kall, but again in feer of the unknown?

barracuda

Algae accumulates nutrients in its tissues and after die off may release it back to the water. Also, after the lights goes off, photosynthesis stops and algae start producing the CO2, which will lower PH in your system. You can add herbovour animals like turbo/astraea snails, Lawmower blenny.
Tap water has another bad characteristic. Except clorine and chloramine it may contain heavy metals, other toxic components. Which can cause a lot of problems in your tank.

mdvm

What do you suggest I do with the Brown stuff that has collected on my live rock? Will it go away or wipe it off. The live rock was added about 3 weeks ago from an established tank and it seems
to have some of its color, not sure if its due to the covering of the brown stuff or it cycling. Another question: I have crushed coral on the bottom of the tank would it be wise to add LS at this point, should I wait or not at all?

barracuda

What do you suggest I do with the Brown stuff that has collected on my live rock?
Whatever you do, it will regrow as you constantly feeding it with tap water.
I have crushed coral on the bottom of the tank would it be wise to add LS at this point, should I wait or not at all?

Remember!!! Don't add Ls on top of CC.
How old is your tank?

killafins

listen to all these people's advice, they know what they are talking about. But IMO the best attack on a natural problem is to use natural solutions. BUy some turbo snails, it will help ALOT

mdvm

My Tank was given to me by my cousin its about 6 years old. I had to drain most of the water out to move it. The 2 fish that he had did survive the move. It had a reverse flow undergravel filter, I removed them and boy there was a lot of junk under there. I now have a mechanical filter, protien skimmer, and 2 270 gph powerheads. That was about 3 months ago, since I did that. The Brown stuff started showing up after I put the LR in and maybe its was just coincudence?

barracuda

How old are your bulbs? How much do you feed? What brand and what model is your skimmer? How are powerheads aimed?
what additives do you add? i suggest you to test your tank water and your tap water for what i have mentioned above in my replies.

mdvm

How old are your bulbs? How much do you feed? What brand and what model is your skimmer? How are powerheads aimed?
what additives do you add? i suggest you to test your tank water and your tap water for what i have mentioned above in my replies.
My bulbs are 2 weeks old. I feed 1 a day and skip 1 day a week.
I have a sea clone 100 skimmer. My powerheads I just added and they are the back wall right and left corners pointing in. they are the zoo meds with the rotaing heads.