brown patches on grouper

tink

My tank has been set up for about 3 mouths and i have had a major crash in the last week. My niger trigger got some serious ich and ended up dying while i was on a 4 day fishing trip, when i got back my amonia was through the roof. Then my lion and my red coris wrasse died, i still have the blue spot grouper but he has had these brown spots or patches on his body, hes eating normal but seems to be scratching his sides, i caught him and diped him in fresh water for 5 min twice over the last to days but it still will not go away please help

lion_crazz

I would quarantine this fish immediatley and perform hyposalinity. This is the only way you will get rid of ich successfully.
The freshwater dips are hurting more than they are helping.
Also, I am very sorry to hear that you lost all of your fish. What happened to stress these fish out so much?

tink

are u sure the brown patches are ich? cause the trigger and the lion had ich all over his body, there were little white dots, the grouper has no white dots
Ive got no idea what is stressed them out so bad, the trigger was a little biach and every time you walked by the tank he would go crazy and hide

lion_crazz

No, the brown spots are not ich, but if the lion and trigger had ich, the grouper is most likely being bothered by it because now he is the only fish to keep the ich alive.
Can you post your water levels? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, kH, salinity, temp)

tink

everything is at zero as far as the amonia and nitrates and nitirtes go, i did a serious water change to bring it down, the grouper is showing no signs of ich but the brown patches is not going away, the salinity is .0125 so its fine too, do you have any idea what the patches could be, cause if its a fungus or something i dont want to add another fish b/c i dont want it to spread

lion_crazz

Well, nonetheless, I definitely would not add any more fish yet until you figure out what is going on. Can you post your pH and kH for us?

aw2eod

The brown patches are probably the coloration change that he's going through, to show that he's uncomfortable or irritated.