brown sand, how to keep clean?

gfk

my tank cycled about 3 weeks ago, and the diatoms came and went... my sand now is a little brown. i did a water change like i plan to do every 2 weeks (might do 1.5 weeks instead from now on) and i have brown stuff now, like i said.
would the water change i did yesterday make it go away?
just wondering what you guys do about that stuff.
its a 20h
HOB filter for up to 40 gallons (plan to get skimmer in a couple weeks)
24lbs live rock
inch of sand, isnt live but there is stuff living in it now
its not a huge deal cause it isnt too bad, but you know, just throwin it out there
edit: i also just changed the filter. use ro/di water
run actinics from 9-10 and daylights from 10-9
temp 80
just did water change nitrates hovered a little below 20 seems like all the time
and i just got home and it seems worse, i dont overfeed, if anything i dont feed enough, i have a large cleanup crew
looks worse in person then in the pics

wax32

Is the HoB filter the only thing moving water in your tank? If so it is likely built up detrius you are seeing.

gfk

oh ya, i have 2 maxijet 400's
its now on the powerheads and some on the live rock too, let me post a picture

gfk

i also just changed the filter. use ro/di water
run actinics from 9-10 and daylights from 10-9
temp 80
just did water change nitrates hovered a little below 20 seems like all the time

diadema

Only thing that will make it go away is patience. As stated, RODI should minimize it but hey - you're gonna get a diatom bloom it's just part of the process.
Next comes the green algae - get your cleanup critters ordered when that starts to grow...

gfk

i have
10 hermits
sally light foot
and like 15 snails or so...
would that be the time to buy my algae blenny?
they wont eat diatoms will they?

diadema

not so I've noticed really.
A fighting conch is a good way to keep the diatoms under control on the sand. Make sure you get a really small one though - your size tank at such an early stage couldn't keep up with the food supply for a larger one... In my opinion.

ren99

How about stir the sand maually? Do a very small area at a time, so you don't kill a lot of good bacteria in sand?

gfk

that would work in theory but if you look at the pictures youll see its on my powerhead and on my liverock too.
"it happens, wait it out" seems to be the most logical answer so far since i dont believe im doing anything wrong