Brown Sand

long92708

How can I prevent white LS turn to brown color? The light is turned on 10 hrs a day. Do I really need an air buble to circulation the oxygen? I have a power head and a skimmer already.

fishieness

no, you dont need an airstone. It is actualy not recomended at all. You have pleanty of oxygen with the skimmer, though you may need another powerheads depending on the size tank you have.
as far as yoru sand turning brown, it is a very popular occurence in new tanks form a diatom bloom. To help, you can use RO/DI water, have a clean up crew consisting of crabs and hermits and such (most sand sifting creatures are not recomended because they will starve to death and eat a lot of the critters found in live sand), and have good water quality. most likely, once your tank matures, your sand will be clean again.

C

cotti

Originally Posted by fishieness
no, you dont need an airstone. It is actualy not recomended at all. You have pleanty of oxygen with the skimmer, though you may need another powerheads depending on the size tank you have.
so u don't recommend using an airstone? I'm running the magnum 350, the return seems to move water pretty well, I also use a pengium 150 just for more circulation and filtration...I also took the glass canopy off so the top is open now...do you think there is enough oxygen getting into the water to remove the airstone?

fishieness

well that depends what size tank you have. also, a powerhead aimed at the surface will provide more oxygen.
but airstones cause a lot of saltcreep.

opus18

I just started seeing the same thing in a few small sections of my sand as well as on the surface of a couple of rocks. Tank has been only "online" for 2.5 weeks with 3 green chromis for 1 week. Numbers look good for the water and it gets topped off with only RO water... Today is my day to add a few new swimmers...
46G All-glass bowfront
46# LR
40# LS
Primeir Systems sump system.

glengoby

yeah I got a 46 gal BF too, I have had it up 4 about 4 months and the sand thing happend to me as well it will go away I think it took like 5 weeks for mine to go away from the time I set the tank up till it left.

opus18

Very good to know... Thanks! My three little buddies are very happy in their home... Its fun to watch as someone walks by the tank, they duck out behind the reef area... But will return if I talk to them... :)

fishieness

usualy if you dont have enough oxygen levels that could mean you dont havae enough flow (how BIG is yoru tank?) or possibly you do not have good amounts of KMnO4 in your tank.