brown slime on torch

mp32

Well as you can see I have some brown slime on my torch and one of the heads is gone what is it and what can I do, and can it spread to my pearl bubble and other coral?

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by mp32
http:///forum/post/2726825
Well as you can see I have some brown slime on my torch and one of the heads is gone what is it and what can I do, and can it spread to my pearl bubble and other coral?
Brown jelly disease. Take it out and remove the dead head. Cut as low as you can on the skeleton. Not sure if it will spread to the bubble coral.
Act fast or you will lose every head.

mp32

Should I cut to the part where the heads split? I have never cut a coral before what would be best to use to cut it?

jerryatrick

Got a camera? Any camera would do... I had two heads that had a skeleton that went all the way down to bottom. I used a sharp knife and kind of sawed it off. I would feel a lot better guiding you if I saw exactly where you need to cut.

mp32

[/IMG]
It is a horrible pic but best I can do right now, it is directly center and it looks like a Y

mr_x

cut it at the "y". use wire cutters or something similar to cut through the skeleton. keep it in an area of decent flow. it's a bacterial infection that spreads very fast. good luck

jerryatrick

Perfect. Cut straight down and to the left as you get close to the rock that it is attatched to. Good news is this, it looks like the two heads are far enough apart so the disease doesn't spread.

jerryatrick

1 more thing... cut slow. I didn't and as I got close to the bottom it snapped. I guess it wasn't a big deal.

jerryatrick

Mine did not spread to the other head which was a lot closer than yours.
Mr. X, should the OP dip the coral in anything after it is fragged?

mr_x

you could try an iodine dip like lugols. i've heard that recommendation before, but i don't know of it's effectiveness. meanwhile, i've only ever seen the brown jelly disease on torches/frogspawns/hammers. i wouldn't worry too much about the bubble. keep the remaining head in a medium to high flow area. if you see more brown jelly, vacuum it out of the tank asap. you can vacuum it right off of the head in question.
jerryatrick has been more successful at saving the remaining coral than i- all the colonies of Euphyllia i had that were effected, are now in the sump, as expensive pieces of live rock.

mp32

I am about to cut now I will cross my fingers and see how it goes, much apreciate the help.

mp32

Surgery was a success! cross your fingers for me that the other head is O.K. Thanks again for the help!

mp32

There is a moded maxijet nearby it is aimed close to it so I think it will be good enough. will keep you posted.

mp32

Well it is day 2 and all looks well so I hope I caught things in time. Thanks JerryAtrick and Mr. X

jadette

Doing a dip with lugol's solution did the trick for me. I second the suggestion of decent flow.
My 10+ torch coral survived a bout of brown jelly disease. Looks like yours will pull through too. Good to hear!