Brown Star Polyp?

mony97

I was peering into my tank last night as I usually do and noticed something on my LR that I had never seen before, I guessed it to be some kind of polyp so quick googled it and it looks to be a brown star polyp..
My question is could this be? I never introduced it into the tank and have never seen it open until now, and I have had the tank for about 2 months or so.. Also I have a 65g FOWLR and no fancy lights for it to grow or feed so it seems weird?
They dont seem to be a bad or invasive type of coral as far as I can tell but would like to get some info on these guys as well if possible?
Thanks

xcali1985

i had mushrooms in my tank same way. Asked the LFS and they said all their live rock and coral tanks are cycled together so spores and such will lodge into rocks and you put it in your tank and it basically comes to life. The store even has corals growing on rocks that they never purchased themselves. They come on the coral pieces and seed the tank.

mony97

Just an update I checked yesterday and autojunkie wins, Im pretty sure now that its aptasia :( so I decided no to post a pic, but still have a question can aptasia close or retract like a feather duster might?

garick

if they are small, a peppermint shrimp should gobble them up. I've had 2 now for about 5 months and they eat apti like crazy. They LOVE it.

garick

condy's normally just eat fish anyway :) can't say there a good anem since they don't host and eat fish.

mony97

Okay cool, its sounds like the Peppermint Shrimp is the way to go. I am assuming that once the Aptasia is gone they will eat other food and not starve?