brown sugar and Cyno questions

krazekajin

I know that there is a method of using brown sugar or honey to rid a tank of Cyno. Can anybody give me some clear directions. I searched on this site, but could not find clear instructions. I also tried to google it and still nothing.
How can I get rid of cyno?

I have never heard of brown sugar so can't help there but......I've used the Blue Vet Slime Control.
It worked really really well and did not do any harm to reef
good luck!

hefner413

I used chemi clean. It took care of it all. First suction up all that you can (I used an airline tubing). Follow the directions on the box - very simple. But it took care of my cyano and it hasn't returned.
I also started using RO/DI water ever since - a RO/DI filter is a must. I bought mine on ----.

D

dennis210

Just about every newer system I have ever seen battles cyano at some point.
Rather than chemically treating try two things - increase flow over substrate effected and then cut back on feeding. Excess nutrients are entering system usually food.

hefner413

Originally Posted by Dennis210
Just about every newer system I have ever seen battles cyano at some point.
Rather than chemically treating try two things - increase flow over substrate effected and then cut back on feeding. Excess nutrients are entering system usually food.
Yeah, definitely try that first, for sure. I cut back my feeding to every other day for 2 wks and I actually pointed my powerhead directly on the spot that had the cyano and I continually suctioned it out as it grew. But even while doing this, it still was growing and spreading quickly. I then finally gave up and went with Chemi clean. It killed it all in 3 days. Yes, it probably killed some other bacteria also, but it did not affect my levels in my tank at all - no cycle or anything. Everything stayed 0 with amm, nitrates, ites. So I am impressed with Chemi clean. The reason I picked it is b/c it does not have any antibiotic in it. Most other anti-cyano have erythromycin or some other antibiotic.

thangbom

cyano is caused by silicate in the water.. that sugar thing is for GHA i think... it acts as a steroid for the bacteria and cause the bacteria to multiply and grow like mad... when this happens the bacteria will eat up what they can ( which are the DOC's ...disolve organic conpounds.. in the water) before the algea can get a chance to eat it ...
if you are using ro/di water then it will go away by itself over time... heck i got ride of my massive bloom from my cycle by just leaving it alone.. my tanke was covered!!! looked like a silky red sheet over my rock and sand... i dint reduce the light or n e thing.. just let it eat itself out of food...
YzGyz