BTA multi split

dogstar

Anyone ??
My BTA that I have had for 5 years now and host maited clowns has split last week. It moved behind its rock and I knew what was happening because its done it twice befor.
New twist for me though, I see 3 sections. 2 have came back out on top of the same rock and I can see another back behind thru a crevice. All look healthy so far.
How normal is it for them to split into more than 2 sections and is three a possibility or should I look for another as if there should be an even number or is an odd number not unusual.
The clowns sure are haveing fun jumping from one to another. haha. Thks.

misfit

I have never had my anenomes split three ways but I have had mushrooms split three ways.As you know mushrooms have qualities of a coral and some qualities of an anenome,so I would think it is normal to do a three way split and it doesnt have to be equal (into four pieces).Thats pretty cool.Good luck

dogstar

Those are good points about the mushrooms. Thanks. I keep looking but dont see a fourth. Lots of rock for it/them to hide in. I quess time will tell. Of couse I worry that one will pop out and kill a coral befor I can move it.

T

thomas712

Somebody around here has had that happen, and I think it was with an RBTA even, one of them I seem to remember died. I can't remember who it was though.

misfit

Funny you should say that Thomas ,cause when my mushroom split into three, one did die also.Wonder if splitting in three is too tough on them and one part isnt strong enough to survive???

viper_930

At the LFS I work at we had an RBTA split into three and all three survived. I've only seen it happen once in person though.

dogstar

First time this guy split, I had to nurse one half back to health. Had to hand feed it. Push food into its mouth.
Second time both halves were fine and now these three sections look fine so far and are healing nice and already takeing food. Thanks everyone, I let yall know.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by misfit
Funny you should say that Thomas ,cause when my mushroom split into three, one did die also.Wonder if splitting in three is too tough on them and one part isnt strong enough to survive???

Sometimes things go wrong like in this thread where it just couldn't split and died.:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/205836/is-my-bta-splitting
Mushrooms and ricordias are close and I know they can have multiple mouths and split multiple ways, both my rics are now splitting, one into three, one into two.

misfit

Yes, I remember that thread, It took so long to seperate, it didnt seem right.I thought one was not going to make it.

dogstar

Wow, Thomas.. thats a depressing thread you kinked to. I think that was a split due to stress but who knows....
Anyway...
The third section is starting to see the light and moveing to it. They all three look good. The two on top are the sections that came out last , a little bleached but not bad, and the one on the left just came out today. I feel better now and dont see any more sections anywhere..
I really wish these things did not do this splitting thing because now/soon I will have to try and take them out.... :mad:

saltn00b

although i dont have that much experience with anenomes yet, i can tell you that in nature, often times there are mutations, or slight changes in genetics, as well as changes in reproduction / propagation. its probably just as much of a statistic anomaly for a BTA to split into three as opposed to 2, then say a human giving birth to twins or triplets etc. also, although there are plenty examples of geometric symetry througout all walks of life, when it comes to cell splitting, nothing is perfect, nothing is guaranteed!

T

thomas712

I took 5 down to the LFS today I don't know if I should
or

I still have three in the refugium with only 80 watts of NO lights and guess what!? One of them split....

Go figure
Thomas

crox

Thomas
my BTA is acting weird tonight. It looks like that two extremes psrts of the BTA are trying to fuse together. Does it mean that it's splitting?

dogstar

Crox, I really dont care myself ( well sort of ) but this is called hijacking a thread and maybe you should start your own thread with the question. Maybe why your not getting answered.