BTA? or so I think...

eng50

This is an unusual story..
i was at a LFS and they got their weekly shipment in and was putting them in the tanks..a bag was set aside and I asked about it, and was told it was dead, they were going to throw it away..I said..I'll take it thank you. I believe it is very much alive!
Anyway, it looked to be a BTA, i do not have any experience with them, I do have another purple LTA in the tank, which never looked like this one.
I do not have a pic of when I first got it several hours ago, but it was very difficult to tell which end was which, it looked like a fleshy doughnut, with very few tentacles, now it looks like below..
My questions are...
Is it a BTA?
Is it common for the base to be so much larger than the top? or is it just this way because it is night time?
The tentacles are very short, but he has inflated all of them and reacts well to light..openning up and inflating..does it look healthy to you?
Thank you, I will post pics tomorrow after it has had some light for a bit..hopefully it wil stay in view!! My LTA stayed where I put it and set its foot immediately, this one stuck to my hand with some serious stickyness, I just placed him on the rock and away he went!!
Bill

coral boy

It looks like it has good color. Just feed it meaty foods and it should be fine. I can't beleave the LFS said it was dead did you have to pay for it? And yes it is a BTA

yep, looks like BTA. Looks like it has been or is pooping or trying to move around (the inflated foot). Good score. Keep it fed and you should be ok. Mine likes squid !!!

eng50

Yep it was free! and like all other BTA's I have read about, it has picked a spot almost out of sight in a crack in the rocks!! Looks much better today..will post a pic if he comes out in sight some more! Thank you!
PS.. Its color is flourecent green is this a common color for them?
Bill

jonthefb

yeah green bta's are fairly common. i cant believe that they said that thing was dead. the reason the base is so much larger than the rest of the body right now is because he is trying to move. they do this whenever they want to get around. they take in a lot of water in their foot which greatly expands this part, and then they move around the tank. just make sure you feed him often, at least once a week. more would be better. what kind of lighting do you have right now?
good luck and congrats!
jon

eng50

VHO and NO, about 440 watts, I wish i had a pic of it from the begining, it was the size of a quarter and you couldnt tell which end was up with a few minute tentacles, no color completely deflated, about 1/4 nch thick max..
I fee the other anenome every three days anyway, so I will do the same with the BTA, though hard to reach now!!
Bill