BTA Quality Care

fireshrimp

To Feed or not to Feed my Green BTA ? I have researched, read books checked posts on this site and others by people with more experience with anemones than me... and i cannot find a real answer.
Hell people can not even agree on what lighting is ok to use. The one thing people tend to agree upon is the mortality rate of anemones, it seems a lot can go wrong which is worrying me. I do tend to try and over achieve for my watery friends than underachieve so I upgraded my lights to accommodate a BTA + corals ect rather than try to use regular pc lights.
So far so good... he is not white at all and is clinging to the inside of a oversized shell and the tenticles are comming out of the top. I have fed him a few mysis and 1 small portion of an selcon soaked silverside. I have not seen anything comming out of his mouth but I do see him shrink at night / early in the morning which is believe is normal for them from what I have read.
I have also adjusted my water changes to more frequent and much smaller changes to avoid shocking the bta. Currently doing a 5 gallon change over 48 hours.
I am also slightly saddened by my black percs lack of interest in the bta

My water parameters are also normal and i keep my salinity at 1.025. I built a Auto top off for my tank to lower potential shock of salinity ups and downs.
If anyone has any advice for keeping my BTA more than just alive but happy and healthy I would appreciate it. I am at the point where I do not trust any LFS...(atleast in OH) they all seem to have people who either do not know what they are talking about or if they do know they are trying to sell you a million things.
Thanks in Advance ! :joy:

reefforbrains

twice a week should be fine. You looking to grow it quick or just feed it? just feeding? then weekly routing of once or twice should be fine. If for growth, then feed more. but careful of water quality from the BTA doing a #2 more often from the increased food consumption.
I dont make a habit of porking them out for growth. You will get used to how much they like after a few weeks. And smaller peices more often are usually better then giving them a thankgiving dinner during feeding.

fireshrimp

Yes I am just looking for optimal health. I am not making steaks out of him

I tried to feed him a small portion of a shrimp last night but he did not seem to be interested in it.
Thank you for the help.

renogaw

just make sure the shrimp is unfrozen. if they dont stick to the food, means they aren't hungry.
personally i overfed and now mine are huge and i wish they would split, but...

debbie

I feed twice a week as well. I also notice that when I feed my clown she will also spit some food in the anemone as well. But is sure does make a difference as far as their growth when they are fed.

cjml

Originally Posted by renogaw
just make sure the shrimp is unfrozen. if they dont stick to the food, means they aren't hungry.
personally i overfed and now mine are huge and i wish they would split, but...
Yes feeding will make them grow and split-I also have overfed mine and they have split 5 times-from one little one-so now I feed less often..these all started from one very small bta-I spot feed mysis and silversides...and whatever they filterfeed from all the other foods I feed my fish...