bta still hasn't come out of overflow box

fish1031

you can kind of see it in the pic...
i found it in the box friday night and turned the filter system off..
attached is the temp filter i have hanging on the front
will every thing be ok? seems to be so far...
how long can the BTA go without eating?

rudedog40

How'd he get in there in the first place? If it were me, I'd take my hand and gently slide it under his pod to try and force him off the side of the overflow (I did it to mine when he was on my glass). If you don't want to try it, try sticking a small PH in the overflow and blow it directly on him so he'll release. Once you get him floating, push him into a large Ziplock freezer bag that's full of overflow water (Just keep the Ziplock bag underwater). Take the bag and dump him back into your DT.

fish1031

he just crawled up into the box.. so wierd
i tried to pry him with a spatula... not working... i will try the ph if it will not hurt him...

dischirm

I am certainly no expert on BTA, but when I had to move one off the glass, I took a credit card and slid it gently between glass and foot. It worked for me.

perfectdark

If you are careful you can do as stated above and work something under its foot. It almost feels like its tearing but its actually just coming free from what its attached too. The problem is when if you damage its foot infection can set in and its not likely to recover from that point on. So a lot of people are nervous about trying to do this.
BTA's dont ever need to be fed as long as the light source is appropriate and your water chemistry is on. They are filter feeding photosynthetic anmials that get what they need from those 2 things. People like to feed their anems to help supplement what they might not be getting from the water and lights.

fish1031

o wow thanks for the tip on feeding.
I was able to free it but it is split in two... not by me getting it out but by when it was sucked up the overflow box... it is open and both peices look fine :) thanks