BTA's sure are stupid

rudedog40

Well, it looks like my new BTA decided to commit suicide into my PH. He was staying in one spot for the last couple of weeks. But last night, I saw him on the move again. This morning I saw him in the far left corner of my tank, just opposite of my Korelia PH I have halfway up the leftside glass. Sure enough, my wife just calls me and says she went by the tank to find the BTA wrapped up on the inside of the PH. No telling how long he's been there. She said there were some of his tentacles sticking out, but he was all deflated and not moving. I got her to unplug the PH, and she said it looked like some of his tentacles started moving again. What amazes me is how he could even get close enough to the PH without it blowing him away. I've always liked watching my fish try to swim towards it, and it literally pushes them backwards.
I thought I read another thread here where this happened to someone else, and it actually created multiple anemones. Kinda like the mushroom blender experiment. If he doesn't get himself out of the PH, and I end up having to pull him out, should I let him float around the tank awhile to see if part of him comes to life, or yank the whole thing out to avoid a big ammonia spike?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by rudedog40
Well, it looks like my new BTA decided to commit suicide into my PH. He was staying in one spot for the last couple of weeks. But last night, I saw him on the move again. This morning I saw him in the far left corner of my tank, just opposite of my Korelia PH I have halfway up the leftside glass. Sure enough, my wife just calls me and says she went by the tank to find the BTA wrapped up on the inside of the PH. No telling how long he's been there. She said there were some of his tentacles sticking out, but he was all deflated and not moving. I got her to unplug the PH, and she said it looked like some of his tentacles started moving again. What amazes me is how he could even get close enough to the PH without it blowing him away. I've always liked watching my fish try to swim towards it, and it literally pushes them backwards.
I thought I read another thread here where this happened to someone else, and it actually created multiple anemones. Kinda like the mushroom blender experiment. If he doesn't get himself out of the PH, and I end up having to pull him out, should I let him float around the tank awhile to see if part of him comes to life, or yank the whole thing out to avoid a big ammonia spike?
***...Pull it out of the PH...

Jeez....I dont think it is going to make it...I might give if a few..Then if no progress go ahead and chuck it...As far as I know there is no way to make Koralia's anem safe either..

rudedog40

Originally Posted by NigerBang
***...Pull it out of the PH...

Jeez....I dont think it is going to make it...I might give if a few..Then if no progress go ahead and chuck it...As far as I know there is no way to make Koralia's anem safe either..

LOL. Unfortunately, I'm still at work. I told my wife to put on the gloves and pull it out, and her response was, "Ewww. You're kidding right? I'm not puttin my hand anywhere near that thing." She did say some of the tentacles started moving as soon as she powered the PH down. I'll be home in a couple of hours. I'll see what's left of him when I get home.

nigerbang

LOL. Unfortunately, I'm still at work. I told my wife to put on the gloves and pull it out, and her response was, "Ewww. You're kidding right? I'm not puttin my hand anywhere near that thing." She did say some of the tentacles started moving as soon as she powered the PH down. I'll be home in a couple of hours. I'll see what's left of him when I get home.

It might have been waving do to the flow in other parts of the tank..I prolly would just 86 it..

rudedog40

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
You simply CANNOT keep anemones in a tank with open intakes. Ever.
Be sure to check you ammonia levels.

OK. So how do you cover the intake on a Koralia?
And I just love yet another harsh/critical reply. It's getting to the point it's not even worth asking the question if you have to get lectured everytime you do it. Thanks for the ammonia advise Dad.

1journeyman

OK. So how do you cover the intake on a Koralia?
And I just love yet another harsh/critical reply. It's getting to the point it's not even worth asking the question if you have to get lectured everytime you do it. Thanks for the ammonia advise Dad.
If you can't cover the intakes on your pump then you need to get a different pump or avoid anemones. I don't have any Koralia's myself so I can't help ya out there. you might try to contact them directly and discuss the issue.
My comment was in no way critical of you Rudedog. I simply stated what I state on EVERY thread like this (and there are a few every week it seems). People overlook the fact that you cannot keep open intakes with anemones.
As for the ammonia comment, if you read your first post you asked about ammonia. I was responding... There have not been any harsh replies on this thread Rudedog. You made a mistake and other posters, including myself, are trying to help you correct them.

dogstar

And I just love yet another harsh/critical reply.

It just turns my stomach every time I see a post about an anemone getting mangeled in a PH...I see them on this sight nearly every other day....
********************* Play Nice. 1Journeyman

rudedog40

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
If you can't cover the intakes on your pump then you need to get a different pump or avoid anemones. I don't have any Koralia's myself so I can't help ya out there. you might try to contact them directly and discuss the issue.
My comment was in no way critical of you Rudedog. I simply stated what I state on EVERY thread like this (and there are a few every week it seems). People overlook the fact that you cannot keep open intakes with anemones.
As for the ammonia comment, if you read your first post you asked about ammonia. I was responding... There have not been any harsh replies on this thread Rudedog. You made a mistake and other posters, including myself, are trying to help you correct them.

It's hilarious that you can't even recognize how critical your tone sounds. Every response you've ever made to one of my posts sounds condesending and terse. You seem oblivious to the fact that you sound like you're talking down to me. Uh, if you didn't notice, my ammonia reply was meant to be a dig about your monotonic reply to my question as to whether I should watch my ammonia levels. I actually already knew the answer.
I'm glad you and Dogstar have never made a mistake in this hobby, and do everything perfectly to keep your tank pristine, and your livestock thriving. What's it like to be you? Just do me a favor. You have every right in the world to read any posts I make on this forum. Just don't reply to any of them. Like I've said before, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

1journeyman

It's hilarious that you can't even recognize how critical your tone sounds. Every response you've ever made to one of my posts sounds condesending and terse. You seem oblivious to the fact that you sound like you're talking down to me. ...
Rudedog, I sincerely apologize for any tone that you heard in my posts. I was not trying to talk down to you. One of the many problems with communication on forums.
While we certainly disagree in the "aquarium" posts, I leave those disagreements there. Any posts made, by anyone, related to SWF are answered to the best of my ability.
I'll certainly avoid answering any of your questions in the future if that's what you want.

nigerbang

If you can't take the truth, don't ask! Koralias can't be anem proofed, do some reasearch before you buy an ANIMAL..

perfectdark

1journeyman IMO you have nothing to apolgize for. IMO Rudedog took your advise completly out of context and jumped to conclusions before finding out for sure. Even after you explained you still got grief. We are all here to help and somtimes the advise or answer you get isnt what you want to hear. But in the end it sometimes doesnt matter because the reality is no matter how much you try you cant help everyone.

rudedog40

You people are a joke. I could care less about the outcome of the anemone. My whole argument with journeyman is his cold way of stating the evident. The people on this board are cold and calculating, constantly demeaning the individuals coming here looking for simple answers for things they're not familiar with:
YOU HAVE A TANG IN A 55?
YOU PUT A NEW FISH IN YOUR DT WITHOUT DOING A QT?
YOU TRY TO TREAT ICH USING OVER THE COUNTER TREATMENTS?
YOU BOUGHT THAT FISH WITHOUT DOING RESEARCH?
The funny thing is, everyone of you critics has probably made the same mistakes when your started in this hobby, but are too afraid to admit it. I get lambasted because a stupid invertebrate crawls into the one powerhead, THAT ALL YOU EXPERTS RECOMMENDED, that apparently can't be covered. What are the odds the thing would crawl to the complete opposite side of my tank, up a slick piece of glass, and into an extremely strong flow that should by all intensive purposes, blow him back to where he originally started? Oh that's right! Research would have told me that! Powerheads are anemone magnets!!!

nietzsche

powerhead is probably pushing everything back and making a complete circle back....... anyways, grow up. if you cant take some criticism then just go away please. what do you want us to tell you? you dont care so ok. who knew any open intakes and powerheads could kill something like an anemone huh? dont come on here bashing everyone. this is the internet, i really dont know how youre going to know exactly how someone is talking to you unless its like my post. if you dont want help or care why do you bother posting? before i started in this hobby i read books, looked online, became part of multiple forums. i read and read and continue to read. some things are just common sense

petjunkie

Yeah, research would have told you that actually. I don't have an anemone for that reason exactly, they can move and they will get sucked into intakes, just one of the many reasons they aren't really suitable for the hobby, how many tanks are run with covered intakes? You can pretty much count it for dead, I would think the damage would be too intensive for it and dead/dying anemones are very toxic. If you have a qt tank you could try acclimating it over but the stress alone might be too much.
The people on here are trying to prevent more people from making these easily avoidable mistakes, almost everything in this hobby is harvested from the ocean for our enjoyment, the least we can do is try to provide proper care and research fully anything we are getting. As for the odds of your anemone going straight for your powerhead? Pretty darn good, seems like you hear of at least one a week on this site alone.

perfectdark

ummm wow man you seem to have anger issues.. but to answer your question, an anemone falling victim to a power head intake or filter intake is extremly common. Its one of the biggest hazards for anems in our tanks. And it is one of the 1st precautions recomended to take if you plan on owning one.
I agree there are some people here that want to flame you for a mistake you made rather than help you get through your issue, I cannot argue that. Having said that there are far more people here who would rather help than flame and 1journeyman is one of those people. Just trying to smooth the road here as I believe that this was a misinturpetation of what was typed and read.

butters

Originally Posted by NigerBang
If you can't take the truth, don't ask! Koralias can't be anem proofed, do some reasearch before you buy an ANIMAL..

wrong wrong wrong wronnngg......wrong wrong wrong wronnngg...... your WRONG!(scrubs)
go in your gf's/wifes panty hose drawer and steal one.
cut it to length and put it over the PH
let it get itself out of the PH, put it in a tupperware inside your tank.
i learned the hardway also ; )
mine somehow made it from one side, straight to the opposite top front corner, then into my PH....its still alive.

1journeyman

I think this post has unfortunately drifted to far away from the original topic at hand.
Butters, please post in more detail on the DIY section of the forums how to "anemone" proof Koralias. Sounds like a good bit of info.