Bubbble algae, omg do i gotta touch it

shrub125

Okay, so my tank is currently going through its cycle, and i've been recording my ammonia and nitrites since adding my live rock, here are my readings:
Ammonia Nitrite
Day 1 0.25 0.00
Day 2 0.25 0.00
Day 3 0.00 0.25
This looks like its in the process of a cycle, correct?
Now, i noticed a small bubble algae looking thing on a rock, or at least what i think is a bubble algae, and from what i've read, they need nitrites to grow, and seeing as i have nitrites in my water, this thing is most likely going to grow..
So, assuming it is bubble algae, how do i manually remove it, please dont say by hand.. what if it pops, wont that spead tons of other bubble algae seeds into the tank?

bigalulrich

looks like you have a couple of bubbles on that rock.
Can you take the whole piece out? Scrape it down with a brush, keep it in a tub of water in the dark for a few weeks, or you could treat it in fresh water for a few days, or hypersalinity (very high salt levels)
better to remove it and handle it rather than do it in the tank, per your concern. But it's really minor, wouldn't sweat it. You'll drive yourself nuts in this hobby

florida joe

Ummm with all due respect to the previous post, don't go the overkill method. take a piece of tubing and start an Siphon hold it over the bubble and dislodge it into a container and you are done

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3218649
I just googled Bubble algae. had no idea it was so bad. my new piece of LR is covered in it.

One of the LFS here in town has it bad, they fired their reef guy and the tank got out of hand quick and now they have been fighting it for months.

handbanana

I figured it was good " (hey look at all that green stuff)!
The LFS guy was like "Excellent macroalgae on that piece"

bigalulrich

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3218625
Ummm with all due respect to the previous post, don't go the overkill method. take a piece of tubing and start an Siphon hold it over the bubble and dislodge it into a container and you are done
totally fair point, he seemed concerned, seems like no big deal to just take the rock out and clean it, but I'm with you.
FWIW, I have had it spread and had difficulty a few years back with a nagging colony that would keep sprouting even after scraping (while in the tank) but I couldn't (easily) remove the piece and always thought to myself...I wish I could do that
Anyway, sorry for the over-reaction. but nuking the rock will work

fibinotchi

You could also wait till it cycles and get a couple emerald crabs which eat it. They are awesome and reef friendly, small, one of my favorites.