Bubble Algae and Emerald Crabs

bigdaddyc

I have a massive break out of bubble algae, just wondering if anybody has had success getting rid of it other than using Emerald Crabs.

btldreef

I have had success with one and no success with another. I think it depends on the crab, but from what I've seen in other peoples tanks, most will eat the green variety.

Ooh ooh I'm glad I stumbled on this! I have a massive outbreak of the red kind Botryocladia skottsbergii
It's on everything!! You can't manually remove it or you risk popping the bubbles and thus further contamination. What do I do?

flower

Emerald crabs eat it, but it is very easy to pick out, they don't burst like bubbles they are hard like plastic. Inside is liquid, so just don't squeeze or cut it.
Back in the day it was considered decretive algae, like coraline is viewed today. I personally like it, but not over taking the tank., just like Xenia is nice, but not overtaking the tank. Keep things culled down.
If you don't want it at all just pick it out, and get some emerald crabs.

garick

I've had the same experience with emeralds and bubble algae. A few show up. I get an emerald crab and its all clear. I love those guys there so cute and skittery. I once had one that LOVED this one rock and he'd not let go no matter how badly I wanted to move him.

guitarplr85

Funny story. I had red bubble algae just come up out of know where. I tried everything, a close friend of mine his dad owns a fish store for about twenty eight years now. We tryed emeralds it seemed like they were doing little bit, we scrubed and everything else we could think of. Well I had to move so in the mean time we broke everything down and he held all my live stock, and he cleaned and scrubed my rock and kept it nice. I set my tank back up in my new home and it all came back with in mounth. I always wanted a yellow tang but always a little leary of them, so in his store he had a nice one and I got the courage to try one, well with in a week all the red bubble algee was gone and it still hasent come back. Now im not saying they will help, but I had it over a year even broke the tank down for about two mounths and it still came back. Im still not sure if its because of him or just went away, im still looking for answers lol Just wondering if anyone ever hurd of anything like this.