Bubble Algae

debjgardin

Now that I've read the hitchhiker's Id thread, there's really no question that I have bubble algae in my 24 gallon Nano tank. There were just a few at first, but it appears I am getting a few more as time goes by. You mentioned that it needed to be removed carefully in order not to dispurse the spores in the tank. Now my question, what's the best and safest way to remove it and to prevent it from reoccuring? I'm assuming that excess light and excess nutrients are the cause, please correct me if I am incorrect on that. Any help or guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Deb

kdfrosty

IMO the best and safest way to remove bubble algae is with an Emerald Crab(s). I iadded one to my reef, and the bubble algae was gone within one week.
They're cool reef critters too! :happy:

trainfever

I got a hose big enough for the bubble to fit through. Then I started a syphon and used the hose to knock the bubble loose. This way, if the bubble burst, the syphon would suck out any spores and lessen my chance of spreading the spores. I haven't seen anymore since I removed the one.

scotts

Yep definitely time to join the Proud Owners of Emerald Crab Fellowship or POECF as we call it.
Scott