Bubble Algae

double

I have two pieces of live rock that now have some bubble algae on them. I have two emerald crabs that don't seem to be staying on top of this. Any suggestions on ridding my tank of this problem. The tank is a 125 with about 140 lbs of live rock it has only been up and running about a month in a half.

alyssia

Be careful that you don't pop the bubbles. This will spread the algae. I removed my pieces of LR and carefully removed the bubbles, then I rinsed the rock with saltwater before putting it back in my tnak.

double

Thanks Alyssa, I was afraid that is the only way. I have done that before, problem now is that the rock is on the bottom so It will involve completely rebuilding my reef.
Thanks again

alyssia

Originally Posted by Double
Thanks Alyssa, I was afraid that is the only way. I have done that before, problem now is that the rock is on the bottom so It will involve completely rebuilding my reef.
Thanks again

That stinks...I know it sucks to have to rebuild your reef, I'm going to have to face that soon. I have a fish that I need to remove and I cannot catch it to save my life. :mad:
Some people try to syphon out the bubbles with the rock still in the tank but everytime I've tried that I ended up popping them.

dale-fish

It is possible to remove the bubbles while under water. I let mine get large enough as to allow easier pickings. I would practise your bubble removing technique a couple times outside of the water first tho. And when you do decide to attack the bubble under water I would have a siphon running just in case you pop it.

double

thanks guys, I removed the rock but I'm sure I missed some so I'll inevitably get to do this again.
Thanks