Bubble Algae

fishfreak1242

My tank has been in the workings of being taken over by this bubble algae. The algae is red and has bubbles inside of it. I will try to take a picture of it later. It is in my 55 gal FOWLR, I have been using RO water for the past 2-3 months. So far all that I have done to stop it is scrape it off of my sand bed. What can I do to stop this?

nycbob

i hv had luck with emerald crabs eating bubble algae when i 1st started this hobby. its also a sign of overfeeding when u get it.

fishfreak1242

How many emerald crabs should I get? How much should I cut my feeding down? I usually give one cube of food to my 4 fish and 2 shrimp daily. Should I do one cube every other day?

xdfireguy

Them some big fish? If not, you should probably cut down considerably. The rule of 3 minutes doesn't apply with my greedy fish, they'll inhale whatever you throw at them. My sixline looks verypregnant if I let him keep eating.
As far as adding emeralds... start with one. If there is adequate food, you can probably support two without too much of a strain. But you don't want to get to the point where you are having to spot feed your crabs, do you?

aztec reef

Amigo, are this bubbles even green ?
If not, forget everything previously said.
Are this bubbles sitting on top of red algea "clear"?
Si?
ok, thats called cyano bacteria, with DO bubbles on top.
which means, nutrient overload + poor water agitation.(not enuff flow) and Not often enuf water changes.. your Nitrates are provably through the roof.
1 cube of food daily is too much, your ecosystem is not handling it.
feed way less, most fishes stomachs are as big as their eyes.. and keep up with the weekly-biweekly water changes...

aquaguy24

1 cude is way to much...the first time i use frozen cubes, i threw in 1 cube into my 90g and the water was cloudy for a day or so...
red slime usually means u need more flow or overfeeding and u need to change the water more often...

kellenr

Originally Posted by fishfreak1242
http:///forum/post/2665325
My tank has been in the workings of being taken over by this bubble algae. The algae is red and has bubbles inside of it. I will try to take a picture of it later. It is in my 55 gal FOWLR, I have been using RO water for the past 2-3 months. So far all that I have done to stop it is scrape it off of my sand bed. What can I do to stop this?
This sounds to me like Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria). The "bubble algae" reference is a misidentification. Getting Emerald Crabs yada yada isn't gonna do a thing for this. Bubble algae is a 'green' or 'black-looking' (very dark green) bubble thats hard. Usually about the size of a pea but varies. It almost looks like a mini marble on the rock.
What you most have, 90% sure based on your description, is Red Slime Algae. You are most likely over-feeding or the food isn't staying suspended in the water column, it's accumulating and rotting. Red slime usually becomes present in 'dead zones' of flow, meaning however your powerheads/filter returns are aimed, that area is not getting any or much flow.
So, start with this...
1. Cut back feeding for a few days. Maybe every other day and less amount. Then reevaluate your feeding schedule and quantity and adjust it to only what the fish need.
2. Consider where your powerheads are pointed and perhaps add another or reposition your current ones. Watching the flake food travel through the water column when you feed is a good way to see where your current is and the flow directions in the tank. Basically you never want the food to hit the sand and sit there.
3. Use a turkey baster and blast off the slime well from the live rock. This should work very well. Afterwards do a 20%-30% water change and try to suck up the slime while you're siphoning the water out.
4. After you do this monitor your tank for a few days. If it looks like its coming back strong you can use a product called Chemi-Clean Red Slime Algae Remover, works very well and is safe, just follow the directions well.
Good luck.

I feed my fish and LPS three or fours time a week. Mostly three, I just don't get around to it. If you cut back on feeding you should be fine. Bubble algae is green and if you pop the bubble you'll make more trouble for yourself.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2666218
pop the bubbles, usually dies. toothpick works great.
ARE YOU NUTS! That's the exact WRONG thing to do.
You have to pick Bubble Algae out by hand. I found using a plastic knife and fork was the easiest. Some aren't tied down and will come easily, some are attached to the rock and will need to be cut out.
Oh yeah. First you take the rock out of the tank. Then you do the removal, and then you wash the rock off with RO or waste SW. Then its back into the tank.
I followed this method and stopped a budding BA problem in its tracks.
BTW, emeralds are only effective 1/3 of the time. Some, like my little green monster, just don't eat it.
Can you post photos? What you originally described looks a lot like something that's been growing slowly in my tank as well. Its not BA, and its not cyano. I've had both of those, and it doesn't look anything like either. I haven't gotten a decent enough pic to have it IDed.

When I do water changes I suck the bubbles right off the rock. This helps to not spread it and you don't have to take all your rock out.

jacrmill

Ive been told both things with bubble algae....but picking them out by hand does get rid of them.
some people say that popping the bubbles will release spores, but they are not mature until the bubble is mature enough to pop itself. So popping the bubble releases immature spores which wont form more bubble algae. Others say that popping them releases spores that will mature.
I tend to believe that they release immature spores, otherwise how would emerald crabs really help? By eating the bubbles they pop it, which would release more spores and tend to exacerbate the problem not fix it.
Not totally sure which is right, just what Ive read...by the way, you probably dont have bubble algae. Sounds like cyano with air bubbles in it, a completely different problem. Post a pic, then we will let you know for sure.

jacrmill

forgot to mention that I have heard of red bubble algae, though it seems to be less common. But I would bet against bubble algae from your description. Does it look like carpet with little air bubbles in it? = cyano or does it just look like bubbles by themselves? = bubble. Figure out what it is, then we can tell you how to fix it.

mr_x

i've heard of a guy who examined the inside of a bubble to find nothing but nitrate. i've heard of another guy who did the same thing and found spores. i believe they only have spores at certain times.
meanwhile, to be safe, use a siphon hose, and place it over the bubble. start a siphon into a bucket, then yank the bubble off. if it pops, it will get sucked out of the tank.
if it's cyano- follow the above instructions.

fishfreak1242

thank you for all of the responses so quickly. This thread really sprung up out of no where. Sorry, but right now I am unable to get any pics because I am out of the state and my friend is taking care of my tank for the time being. I will be back next week. When I get back I will cut back my feedings, and do more water changes.