Bubble Tip anemone won't . .

nasotang00

I have had a green bubble tip anemone for about 3 1/2 weeks now. It is taking feeding from me of cut shrimp and baby scallops about twice a week. Problem is, it has decided to take refuge under a rock ledge and gets no light. It seems to open up fine, it is still hosting my 2 percs and eating but it will not come out from under the ledge. I know these things need light. Will it do ok with just supplemental feedings. I would need to disassemble a good portion of the reef to accomidate moving the rock he is attached to.
Thanks all for your great advice, as always =
~naso

alianated

Im not familiar with the habits of bubble anenomes, but my seabae did the same thing quite some time ago, he is STILL down there pretty much under a rock. And a clown still lives in him. There have been no ill effects, so my guess would be either
a) They are getting enough light even there
or
b) They are getting enough food from me/the clown.
Either way, he is doing ok there.
Ian

mlm

Mine did the same exact thing. Luckily it was on a piece that was on the top so I was able to just flip the rock around so it would get light. It has not moved since.

I wouldn't really worry about it. My bubble tip
did that too and I just left him there and would occasionally feed him silversides. I guess logic would say if they move there then obviously they are getting enough of something. :D

keitho

i agree with the other guys. i have three BTAs in my tank and one of them decided to hide for a while. when it's ready, the anemone will find a suitable position in the tank in terms of current and light and stay there. one of my large BTAs has been in the same place for months. as long as he's expanding and contracting normally and doesn't look like he's "melting", i wouldn't worry about it too much. hope this helps :)

volitan

Yah, I'd just leave him alone. If you really want him out, try changing your water flow to where he's not getting any flow at all. My bubbletip moves every time I change the flow of the tank slightly.